RailPro > Finished RailPro Installation Examples

O Scale Weaver SD40-2

(1/4) > >>

ron045:
I thought I would start documenting my install process.

I have a older Weaver SD40-2 which I stripped of everything except the motors.

My LM-3S-G and HC-2b were not delivered yet, so I decided to install LED Lights in the shell.  This is a simple engine, so there is only a headlight and a rear light.  I might add class lights and marker lights.  Still deciding.

ron045:
I stopped by GScaleInstallations in York.  The owner Bob Buck has helped me in the past with some equipment for battery dead rail.  This engine will also be deadrail, so a stop to see Bob was a must.  He is also online at 
https://gscaleinstallations.net/

I purchased batteries, switches and speakers.  I'm also going to test these exciters.  When mounted in the shell, the shell is supposed to become the spearer.  Sounds cool.  I have a second engine to upgrade which is why you see two of everything.

ron045:
I made some progress yesterday installing the charge port and the switch.  Bob Buck at GScaleinstalations recommended using these Futaba RC wires for charging.  Being an RC guy, I have plenty of these lying around.  I made a little cutout in the fuel tank and the charge port fit nicely.  It should be concealed well.  Especially  after I paint it blue.

Next was the switch.  Bob also sold me this nice push button switch.  In my last battery projects I was using toggle switches.  These button switches are easy and conceal very well.  Once might even think it really is part of the engine.  I was going to try and put in the the end of the fuel tank, but these Weaver tanks are two pieces and the shoulder and screw were in the way.  So I decided to find an area of the frame that would work best and not interfere with the trucks or the shell.  This was the spot.

You'll see in the test fit below they conceal fairly well.  I did not screw it together because I still have to install the speaker.  That is why you see a gap on the left side.  I should have easy access from the track without having to lift up the engine or remove it from the layout for charging.

ron045:
Yippi...  My RailPro system arrived early.

I could not wait to play with it, so I just did a quick mock hookup and when through the quick start guide and fired it up.  Don't worry... my final install will not look like this.   Man that little TB 1925 speaker can put out some sound.

I was also able to use my Sons computer and played with the RailPro softwares.  That little CI-1 usb device really comes in handy.  No need to use the controller while at the computer.

CPRail:
Looking good!

I've always wanted an O Scale loco. It wouldn't run anywhere as I'm a full fledged HO modeller, but it sure would be nice to have something that big to drool over.

I'm curious, are there any O Scale SD40-2s with body mounted pilots and couplers? It looks like both the Atlas and Weaver ones have truck mounted pilots and couplers, no doubt to accommodate the 3-rail curves.

Ian Lisakowski
Winnipeg, MB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version