RailPro > Finished RailPro Installation Examples

O Scale Weaver SD40-2

<< < (3/4) > >>

CPRail:
I'm not sure how much work you want to do, or if the appropriate parts are even available in O scale (I'm sure they are), but why not drill out the various fan housings on the top of the model and replace the grills with etched grills? HO guys do it, mostly for looks and/or sound quality.

Open grill fans will give you extra heat dissipation openings, especially if you include a micro-fan or something to move the air.

Ian Lisakowski
Winnipeg, MB
Great White North

ron045:

--- Quote from: CPRail on July 06, 2021, 08:20:13 AM ---I'm not sure how much work you want to do, or if the appropriate parts are even available in O scale (I'm sure they are), but why not drill out the various fan housings on the top of the model and replace the grills with etched grills? HO guys do it, mostly for looks and/or sound quality.

Open grill fans will give you extra heat dissipation openings, especially if you include a micro-fan or something to move the air.

Ian Lisakowski
Winnipeg, MB
Great White North

--- End quote ---

That would be cool (pun intended).  This Weaver model does not have open fans.  My next model upgrade is an MTH GP38.  That model does have three openings with fans.

Live and learn for upgrade choices.  Where can I start searching for such parts Ian?

Ron

ron045:
I may have a solution.

I can mount the battery on the frame.  Using some foam cut on one side, I can angle the battery so that the shell will fit.

On the shell roof there are some ceiling bulkheads.  I cut the center posts out.  Still have 6 screws holding the shell on.  I never understood why manufacturers thought 8 screws where needed to hold a shell on.

If I mount the board on those bulkheads then I can orient the module flat with Blue Logo forward.  I can achieve all spacing needs, top, bottom front and rear.  Boths sides will be very close.  It's still a loose fit.  If I don't tape it in it will fall out.

See Pics.
Ron

CPRail:
Ron

Precision Scale has a catalog of Diesel detail parts for O Scale: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjisOn5_87xAhVCVc0KHdHmC0AQFjACegQIBBAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.precisionscaleco.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F04%2FO-Diesel-WOP.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1GyTzaRsol8gXsBWRmL9rJ

Page 23 list the fans. #5680 is the Dynamic Brake Fan, #5688 is the Radiator Fan. #5633 are the Fan Blades. FYI: Those are the Brass P/Ns, but they also have Plastic versions. I presume you can get these PSC O Scale items from Walthers just like you can get PSC HO stuff.

A quick gander at the Atlas web site shows that they have parts for the SD40s as well, including Fan Bases and Grills.

Ian Lisakowski
Winnipeg, MB
Great White North

ron045:
Ran some sound tests today.  Maybe the exciter would have done better in an empty shell.  But in this case the speaker in the fuel tank was much better than the exciter in the shell.  I even moved the exciter to the fuel tank, but that made it worse.

Time to put the finishing touches on this project.
Ron

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version