RailPro > RailPro Specific Help & Discussion

MU locomotive to locomotive range issue with LM-3S-G ?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Bruce Shanks:
Concrete is used as a generic term.  Chicken wire is wired to half inch re-bar skeleton spaced about a foot apart.  Then covered with burlap soaked in soupy mortar mix.  Once cured it's topped with additional layer(s) of mortar, dyed with concrete colorant.  We're fighting the Phoenix sun and winning.

The general description of RailPro leads one to think that it is a peer-to-peer network with all units talking to each other, but it appears that in reality it's more of a client-server set-up with the HC in the cat-bird seat.  On a huge layout like ours, even with repeaters, running more than one consist at a time would mean that they will be out of control, unless they are close to the operator.  Which swwms to be the source of JRad's issue that started this thread. 21 feet was tooo much separation.

Am I missing something?

Gibs:
Each LM, TALKS TO EVERY OTHER LM, or how do you think that a MPU/DPU tells each loco it needs to pull its own share of the load. It's the big selling point of the whole system. So if the LM's are talking the same language as the HC (which they do), it only stands to reason that they will use a REPEATER just as well as the HC!.
Ring does say "Network" on all RF products.

In fact you may want to go and re read this bit again : https://ringengineering.com/DirectRadio.htm

PS : The ideal location for any repeater would be suspended/ mounted ABOVE the layout so that it's line of sight TX has a far easier time of it and can cover a larger area.

G8B4Life:

--- Quote from: Bruce Shanks on October 15, 2021, 05:51:12 PM ---Concrete is used as a generic term.  Chicken wire is wired to half inch re-bar skeleton spaced about a foot apart.  Then covered with burlap soaked in soupy mortar mix.  Once cured it's topped with additional layer(s) of mortar, dyed with concrete colorant.  We're fighting the Phoenix sun and winning.

--- End quote ---

So that tells me we're talking about an outdoor layout then? If you have any tunnels under all that mortar, chicken mesh and rebar I can see that would pose a unique set of circumstances for communication. I would also say any other over the air system would fall into the same boat as RP in that regard.

--- Quote ---The general description of RailPro leads one to think that it is a peer-to-peer network with all units talking to each other, but it appears that in reality it's more of a client-server set-up with the HC in the cat-bird seat.

--- End quote ---

We don't really know a lot about Rings +Net features, how it works is the sort info he guards closely as if other manufacturers are just waiting in the wings to pounce on anything for their own systems. I think what you'll find is that it's actually both, some things probably work in the client-server space and other things work in the peer to peer space, for instance Accessory Modules have no need to communicate with anything else but the handheld so they probably work in the client-server space whereas Locomotive Modules do talk to each other so they do work in the peer to peer space.

--- Quote from: Gibs on October 15, 2021, 10:51:35 PM ---So if the LM's are talking the same language as the HC (which they do), it only stands to reason that they will use a REPEATER just as well as the HC!.

--- End quote ---

You sure about that Gibs? Nobody I know has done any analysis of the radio traffic to see what's going on. If your PWR-56 is password protected is the repeater functionality password protected too? How's an LM going to know what the password is?

- Tim

Gibs:
Hi Tim, matey he clearly states so in that article I linked of his, so since he built it that way I'm pretty sure it does.
The clue is in the statement " it's all one code " .
If in dout ask the man 🙂.

Gibs:
Here is another clue, all the information for each and every loco is stored and controlled by the LM's, not the HC. All the HC does is access the network of stored information on all LM's at any given point in time as well as  facilitate the loading of an LM with all of its relevant data before its first use in a loco.
Once an LM has been initialise it will access the network and Tx it's stored data onto the network. Ring clearly state that each LM is its own Transmitter, so it's the LM's doing all the heavy lifting, not the HC.
Given that, why would you not have a LM able to use a Repeater to talk to another LM since by RailPro's very own definition, it's all about radio networking using one code that is small light and fast.

As to how can a LM access a password repeater, I say the same way as it access a passworded LM. Passwords are to control HC access, not an LM's ability to do so.

Remember an HC is NOT like a server.
That's how I understand all this to work, could be wrong though. 😀.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version