Author Topic: Volts Too High Error and Replacement Batteries in HC-2 with photos  (Read 14772 times)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
In December 2020, my original HC-2 was throwing a charging error: "Volts Too High" whenever it was plugged in for charging.
I sent it in for battery replacement. It was a bit over 6 years old when I sent it in. Ring replaced the batteries at no charge.

This week, my second HC-2 started having the "Volts Too High" error as well. It is also about 7 years old now.

Recently I have heard that Ring has started charging for replacement of the batteries on these older HC's. Shipping both ways plus a small parts and labour fee adds up fast.

So... I cracked open both of my HC's to see what batteries were in each.

Original batteries: Rayovac AA 2400mAh NiMH 1.2v

OLD 20221013_104543.jpg      OLD 20221013_104603.jpg

Replaced batteries: Tenergy Premium AA 2400mAh NiMH

NEW 20221013_105257.jpg

After a little recon, I ordered a new set on eBay for about $10 after shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255569793526

Hopefully this info is helpful to anyone else who has an older unit in need of batteries.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 11:49:25 AM by William Brillinger »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Re: Volts Too High Error and Replacement Batteries in HC-2 with photos
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 01:43:04 PM »
Good to know! Thanks Bill.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 11:18:16 PM »
A good timely reminder Bill; the batteries in my original HC-2 are coming up to 8 years old now and won't hold charge for even a day. Time to replace them. If only eBay here had some good priced quality batteries and not be awash with 2 dollar shop* listings of battery capacities of dubious claim.

I don't get any error charging though.

- Tim

* Insert 99 cent store in place of 2 dollar shop and most of you will have the right idea.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 08:39:29 AM »
I recently stumbled upon a trick to completely discharge the HC batteries. On the main page of the HC down at the bottom of the screen is an "adjust settings" box. Click on that, then you will see a line for Auto power. Click on in to get to "disabled".

That will completely drain the batteries, and allow you to completely charge the batteries. To help it happen faster I also crank up the backlight brightness. Just remember to reset the box to "enabled" after you are done.

I will admit to not researching this earlier, so If this was discussed before, I apologize.

Joe

Gibs

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 10:37:26 AM »
Ok to put peoples minds at rest, Ah listed on any battery is only a concern if there is not ENOUGH Ah to do the job for any real long period of time. So Big Ah numbers good (mostly, get to that later).
What's more important is a battery or batteries total potential VOLTS. That's whats going to do the most damage the quickest if its to high, why....well here comes the high Ah bit, if you have a incorrect Voltage with a high Ah rating its burns through components way faster than you can blink.
Remember, its the Volts that give the POTENTIAL Difference to commence work, but its the AMPS that do the work and a electrical/electronic device will only EVER draw as much current (amps) as it needs to do the job IF all is well with the device.
So think of it like this, Volts push/pull the amps that do the lifting, ok. (real rough but you get the idea)

Ergo, you want a long running session with your HC, then shove in the damned biggest Ah AA that you can find but for gods sake don't ever get a short !  :D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 09:29:26 PM by Gibs »
Cya Down The Line.

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 05:20:25 PM »
A good timely reminder Bill; the batteries in my original HC-2 are coming up to 8 years old now and won't hold charge for even a day. Time to replace them. If only eBay here had some good priced quality batteries and not be awash with 2 dollar shop* listings of battery capacities of dubious claim.

I don't get any error charging though.

- Tim

* Insert 99 cent store in place of 2 dollar shop and most of you will have the right idea.

the last time I replaced my HC-2B batteries I went for the Energizer brand rechargeables which are rated at 2300 mAhr.  not sure if they are available in Oz.  I just looked at amazon and they list many brands of 2800 mAhr rechargeables but most are in packs of 8, 12, or 16.  here is one brand in a pack of 4, but again, I have no idea if amazon Australia has these and if so what the shipping cost is.

https://www.amazon.com/AA-Rechargeable-Batteries-Discharge-Flashlights/dp/B096Z6WQGZ/ref=sr_1_30?keywords=2800mah%2Brechargeable%2Bbattery&qid=1665872141&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjEzIiwicXNhIjoiMi42OCIsInFzcCI6IjEuOTIifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-30&th=1

Gibs

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 07:41:35 PM »
We can get Energizer chargeable batteries just about anywhere here in Australia, from Bunnings to Coles and everything in-between.
 ;D
Cya Down The Line.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2022, 08:55:54 PM »
Ok, I'll be a bit more elaborate, there isn't an issue with getting good quality batteries on eBay here, there's a problem with getting reasonably priced good batteries.; it's either cheap / dubious claim capacity or top of the line, there's no middle ground.

So, at a minimum I'm roughly looking at around $8 to $10 per battery for a known quality battery of around 2450mAh or better. The good part is that there's a few places that sell bulk packs individually, so if I want three AA batteries that's all I have to purchase.

...and Gibs, it's AA, not AAA  ;)

- Tim

Gibs

• Engineer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2022, 09:28:16 PM »
AYYY ?  lol
I'll correct it.
Thanks matey  :D
Cya Down The Line.

JRad

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2022, 10:24:31 AM »
It wasn't mentioned in this thread, but I've read that getting the covers back together while juggling the display and power buttons can be a challenge.  I hit on a solution to that problem last evening.

I had dropped my HC-2 and it quit working. Suspecting a battery popped loose, I removed the 4 screws to open the cover. Removing and replacing the batteries solved the no power-up issue, so now the challenge was to get it all back together.

I found that high-tack masking tape (3M Green) applied from the outside will hold both the power button and LCD screen in place while I re-assembled the case. Once the screws were in I just pull off the tape and everything is good as new!

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2022, 11:14:45 PM »
It wasn't mentioned in this thread, but I've read that getting the covers back together while juggling the display and power buttons can be a challenge.  I hit on a solution to that problem last evening.

I had dropped my HC-2 and it quit working. Suspecting a battery popped loose, I removed the 4 screws to open the cover. Removing and replacing the batteries solved the no power-up issue, so now the challenge was to get it all back together.

I found that high-tack masking tape (3M Green) applied from the outside will hold both the power button and LCD screen in place while I re-assembled the case. Once the screws were in I just pull off the tape and everything is good as new!

That's a great idea.  Without the tape, getting everything lined up and back together is a headache.