RailPro > Finished RailPro Installation Examples

ScaleTrains ES44 install

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jdiesel1319:
I watched several of your videos on YouTube and they are great! Is there anyway you can make one about hard wiring a scale trains loco. This post was great but I don’t trust my self to not dry a $100 controller or $300 loco .thanks

KPack:

--- Quote from: Jdiesel1319 on June 24, 2023, 06:38:08 PM ---I watched several of your videos on YouTube and they are great! Is there anyway you can make one about hard wiring a scale trains loco. This post was great but I don’t trust my self to not dry a $100 controller or $300 loco .thanks

--- End quote ---

Watch Part 2 of the ScaleTrains Dash 9 build: . 

There's a 4 minute section in the middle that goes through how I install and wire the locomotives.  Every ScaleTrains locomotive that I've done is essentially the same.  It's not hard to do, it's just incredibly tedious.  It's one of my least favorite things to do.  I have a new Athearn Genesis G2 Dash 9 that I'm getting ready to install Railpro in, and I'm not looking forward to it.  I'm trying to install another large speaker in it, which means I will need to completely dissemble the locomotive from the frame.  Ugh.

-Kevin

Jdiesel1319:
Thank for the video, I need to know which wires go where, your wiring part was fast and I tried to slow it down, looks like the white and yellow for the ditch lights went to yellow on the module, I’m just a little confused I guess on what goes where. Any help would be great!

KPack:

--- Quote from: Jdiesel1319 on June 26, 2023, 03:33:57 PM ---Thank for the video, I need to know which wires go where, your wiring part was fast and I tried to slow it down, looks like the white and yellow for the ditch lights went to yellow on the module, I’m just a little confused I guess on what goes where. Any help would be great!

--- End quote ---

It honestly doesn't matter which wire goes where.  Yellow, white, green, purple....it doesn't matter.  You can assign each color wire to whatever function you want it to be from the Railpro controller.  So any color wire can control the headlight....you just have to assign it on the controller.  Typically I reserve the green and purple for ditch lights, ground lights, or beacons.  I tend to use the white and yellow for main headlights and rear lights.  But you can use whatever you like.

If you are working with LEDs (which you should be), then the resistor goes on the connection between the colored wire and the LED.  Use 1k ohm 1/4 watt resistors.  The other wire from the LED will go to the "common" blue on the controller.  All of those wires will connect together to one....they all go to the same place.  That is shown in the video.  I show which ones on ScaleTrains locomotives go to common and which go to resistor.

The schematic that comes with the LM-3S from Railpro is helpful as well.  Just follow it and you'll be fine.  You will need some patience to do your first locomotive though.  It will take a while.  It gets easier after the first.

-Kevin

Jdiesel1319:
Thanks man, I really appreciate it, I plan on doing it this week. I’ll keep you posted on how it goes!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version