Author Topic: State of RailPro update  (Read 34973 times)

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Re: State of RailPro update
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2024, 12:41:14 PM »
I echo Kevin's statements. I have most of the sounds I need, but I still hope for others (like a EMD 576 from the side to get that characteristic whine when notching). It fills my needs, and I don't have the challenges of DCC (which is now 31 years old from when the official NMRA protocols were proposed). A couple of weeks ago, I ran a 30 car train with live remotes of different makes consistently for a couple of hours, up and down a major grade. Simple and easy.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2024, 01:43:22 AM »
I have been asked by our N scale members in our club about anything new as far as something for them ?  Same old answer, NO !
 A good thing is slowly going away if not trying to grow with the hobby.
Just my view. Since I'm doing On30, not much problem with installations but I have a couple of small diesel switchers that will not accept any LMs.

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2024, 07:02:49 PM »
I run NCE because I bought it as part of an estate sale before I heard of RailPro. I got into RP when I was experimenting with HO battery power. So I run both, which is part of the appeal of RP -- you can run it on top of an existing DCC system. I had never (and still haven't) installed a DCC decoder, but I was up and running with RP in 20 minutes. I've posted my installs here, admittedly, older four axle diesels with basic lights and sound and none of the modern shell-full weights to work around. My layout is 20x15, and a little sound goes a long way.

I can't speak to Tim Ring's plans but it's a small business with attendant limits, I am sure. And I can relate an anecdote which some here may have heard: A friend is a well-known former editor of one of the leading hobby magazines. One day he went to the owner's wife and said there was so much more they could to make the magazine Number One in the hobby. "Did it ever occur to you," she said, "that [the owner] doesn't want to be Number One?" That's when he decided to move on.