RailPro > RailPro Specific Help & Discussion

PWR-56 Question

(1/5) > >>

Wayne:
I am new to RailPro and have a question on the PWR-56 module. I am running my train on a shelf through 3 rooms of my house. The single line is about 113 feet. I was running a Digitrax Zephyr Xtra which powered the line no problem. I have added LM2S modules to a Athearn BB Cw44-9 and a Bachmann 2-6-0 Mogal. They run fine until about half way using the Zephyr for power, I ordered and installed the PWR-56 module and now they only run about 15 to 20 feet. Will I need to add more PWR-56 modules? According to the manual the HC-2 will only work with up to 4 PWR-56's. My 4 blocks would be just about 28 feet each.
Any suggestions or should send this question to RailPo?

Alan:
Sounds like a voltage drop problem. Are you using a power bus (heavy wire) or are you relying on just the rails and joiners to conduct power? What size and length wire are you using to hook the PWR-56 (or Zephyr) to the rails?

PWR-56 is powered by a PA-2 power supply which is 14v @ 4A. Zephyr is 13V @ 3A. Not enough difference to worry about. Something else is the culprit.

Alan:
An additional clue: When the loco gets to the point where it stops moving what color is the Radio icon on your controller? Blue means the controller is in communication with the module, red means communication has been lost.

William Brillinger:
Is your power supply located at the end of your run?

Ideally the power supply will be located in the middle of the run with a buss extending in both directions from it. My longest run is about 63ft with a 16ga buss wire.

nodcc4me:
with the power on, check the voltage at the ends of the run with a voltage meter or test light. If you do not have either one, you can use a quarter to short out the rails. If you are getting power, the quarter should temporarily cut the power to the PWR-56.

The walls may be blocking the radio signal to the other rooms but as long as there is power to the rails, the engine should not stall. You would have a runaway if it is not getting a radio signal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version