General > General Discussion

CRC-2-26 on tracks

<< < (2/5) > >>

hirailer:
I forgot to mention that I too use graphite to enhance conductivity. It works quite well without creating a film on the track and wheels. It is not used as a cleaner.

Mel

Antoine L.:
So basically, graphite works best if electrical enhancement. There is nothing I hate most than a loco on slow speed suddenly stall and sound resets.

My electrical connections are all good and feeders are each 2 feet of track. So basically, I think i'll go the graphite way.

Thanks

nodcc4me:
I also belong to a DCC club that was located in the damp basement of an old building. In winter, there was a large space heater that not only blew dust around but also warped the track at times. We tried everything, including graphite, to keep the rails clean but nothing had any lasting effects. Every engine I ran there had to have the wheels cleaned before using it on my layout. If I neglected to do that there would be stalling issues. The typical wheel cleaning track removes only part of the gunk. The rest needs to be scrubbed by hand. I don't use anything but a dry cloth on the track, which stays very clean.

I have also noticed that some locomotives will stall if they haven't been run in a while. Leave the sound off for a minute until the motor brushes have a chance to self-clean off oxidation.

KPack:

--- Quote from: nodcc4me on March 16, 2016, 11:53:21 AM ---I have also noticed that some locomotives will stall if they haven't been run in a while. Leave the sound off for a minute until the motor brushes have a chance to self-clean off oxidation.

--- End quote ---

That's a new one I haven't heard before.  Makes sense too.  I'll have to keep that in mind!

-Kevin

MtRR75:

--- Quote from: KPack on March 15, 2016, 04:10:37 PM ---I belonged to a club a for a while that used both CRC and Goo Gone to clean tracks.  Both cleaned very well, but both also seemed to collect dust and grime.  The club was located in an old and somewhat dirty building, and the weather was always very hot and humid.  So some of the track cleaning issues could have been due to the location of the layout itself.  However, liquids tend to leave the rails wet which then attracts dust.

-Kevin

--- End quote ---

I use Goo Gone to clean my rails.  Initially, I was concerned about the possibility of the rails remaining damp.  But I found that in less than a half hour (maybe much sooner) the rails were perfectly dry -- I tested them by rubbing dry rags and paper towels on them.  My layout is on the second floor in a partially heated and cooled room.  Those with basement layouts may have different results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version