RailPro > RailPro Specific Help & Discussion

With all due respect to Tim at Ring Engineering

<< < (2/4) > >>

nodcc4me:
I am mostly happy with RP, aside from wanting a keep-alive feature. Yes, we could use some more sound files, and I believe they will come in time. Last year, I mentioned to Tim that the Heavy Steam file was taking up a huge amount of space in the LM-1 modules. He recently put up a new steam file that takes up less room. I'm sure he has many projects in the works and many more ideas that he hasn't even started working on.

I doubt that he has a second job because I can almost always reach him by phone, even on Saturdays.  He has always handled my concerns, and usually very quickly. The customer service has been second to none. I would rather have it stay that way than to have him (them) working on so many new features that the CS falls flat.

In summary, and in line with what Alan said, I too am so happy not to have to deal with DCC that I am really not that concerned about the speed of development.

brickmodder:
I wish he'd start farming some sound and photo things out to some key users, probably someone (or more) from this forum could help out with that tremendously.

KPack:
Really the only sounds that require RE at this point are the prime mover files.  All other sounds can be made by us users and shared.  We have a "files" section here on the forum that unfortunately is underutilized.  There are a few sounds files on there (mostly from Bill) but there could be many, many more.  Anyone with the ability to record can get useable sound files.  A dedicated audio recorder like a Tascam is best, but even phones now are capable of recording decent audio.  I'd really like to see many more user-recorded sound files made available for general use.  I hope to contribute as much as I can once I replace my recording equipment.

Pictures are a non-issue now with the Railpro Assistant software.  Everyone can make their own pictures and load them onto the controllers themselves.  I'm sure the release of RPA freed up quite a bit of time for Tim.

-Kevin

brickmodder:
I'm hearing repetitive artifacts in some of my sound files (for instance, the EMD 645 Turbo sound and one of the steam files - don't remember which). Is that a known issue, or should I try to redownload and install?

KPack:
Some of the older prime mover files have those artifacts.  The 645 turbo and roots both have some noticeable ones.  Newer sound files like the EMD 567, Alco 539T, and the unreleased GEVO are all much better and for the most part do not contain obvious repetitive artifacts.  The newer sound files are from much better recordings.

The older files are slowly but surely going to be replaced with updated ones.  Word on the street is that RE has new source recordings for all the 645's, so when those are released they should sound much better than the originals.

-Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version