RailPro > RailPro Specific Help & Discussion

Back in the hobby!

<< < (2/5) > >>

SD90:
That's what I mean, I'd have more than 1 controller, maybe 6-8. But I thought 12 locomotives is the max, at the same time? Say I have 4 trains, being controlled by 4 throttles, 3 locomotives on each train consisted together, that's 12 engines, would operator numbers 5 and 6 be out of luck?

KPack:
Welcome to the forum.

12 locomotives from ONE controller is the max at one time for that controller.  You can CONTROL that many AT ONCE from a SINGLE controller.  You can have as many additional controllers as you want and they EACH will have a max of 12 locomotives at one time for that specific controller.  So 5-6 throttles means you could theoretically control 60-70 locomotives SIMULTANEOUSLY from those 5-6 controllers.

"Controlling" is different from locomotives stored on the controller.  You can have as many locomotives stored on the individual controllers as you want with no issue.  You can "control" (meaning actively running and changing speed) 12 locomotives at the same time from that controller.  Stop using a locomotive and break up any MU's on it and it stops being "controlled".  I've never used up my 12 at once maximum. 

Bottom line is you will have absolutely no problem running however many trains you want from however many controllers you want.  You've found the right system!

-Kevin

Josephbw:
Hi Kevin, What is the maximum amperage output of the power supply? I was thinking it was 5 amps, which would equate to about 10-12 or so engines before you run into diminished power. If that's the case, would more power supplies enable you to have more engines running at one time? Just curious.

Joe

nodcc4me:
According to the Ring website, each PWR-56 can run up to 15 locomotives.

--- Quote ---"A single PWR-56 is likely to operate 15 or more modern HO scale locomotives at the
same time. However, if you want to run even more locomotives, turnouts, lights, etc,
you can by adding multiple PWR-56’s to increase the available power to your model
railroad layout"
--- End quote ---

You can add power supplies to increase the number and they will act as repeaters for signal strength on larger layouts. The HC-2 can display 24 locomotive pictures on 4 pages. If you have more than that, just hit Find Product and it will detect another module while deleting one off the display.

Alan:
If you don't need the repeater function you can use commercial switch mode power supplies. They are available inexpensively up to 50A. The RailPro radio signal is plenty strong throughout my 28' x 32' layout. Not needing signal repeating I went the SMPS route. Much less expensive and much greater amperage selection available.

Currently I use a 7 amp model ($19.95) which is ample for operating 20-25 Atlas or equiv locomotives @ around 200mA per loco + a little supply headroom. Should the day come I want to run more then I simply swap out the supply for larger unit. The bus wiring is 12 gauge so should be good all the way to 20 amps. That would a be a staggering 100 locos running.

http://www.lkorailroad.com/powering-the-lko-part-i/   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version