RailPro > RailPro Specific Help & Discussion

Power supply

(1/6) > >>

SD90:
My layout is progressing, I'm still in the benchwork stage, but have the middle level benchwork almost finished. I have a question about power supply.
The layout is basically a point to point around the wall triple deck, with a helix going from level 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. (There will be an option on each level for continuos running.) The basement is 31'x30' with a 7'x8' bump out where the helix will be. There will be 500' of mainline run, will 1 Railpro power supply be enough, or should I get 2?
If I place the power supply in a corner, and have 3 bus lines going out (1 for each level) in each direction they will be about 60' long each, plus the helix. I'm planning on using 14 gauge bus wire.
If I did use 2 oder supplies, would I need to insulate the rail joints where they meet?

nodcc4me:
You can get away with one power supply if you limit the bus wires to 30 feet with feeders placed about every 6-10 feet. If you decide to use two power supplies, one at each end, you will need to place an insulated joiner in the red positive rail.

That's going to be quite a layout. Waiting for pictures.  :)

SD90:
With the basement being 30' on each wall, the runs will have to be 60' each, so I'll need 2 I guess?
I'd just have to insulate one wire, not both?

nodcc4me:
Yes, just the red wires must be insulated from each other. Can you place the power supply in the corner?

Alan:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version