RailPro > Finished RailPro Installation Examples

Hardwiring a Tsunami-equipped Loco - Success then Failure

<< < (2/2)

yvesmary:
Kevin

--- Quote ---The only way I can think that the module would fry upon trying to move would be if one of the motor wires was incorrect.
--- End quote ---

The loco ran fine when I had DCC so I assume the motor wires are correct.

I will try to delete the loco from the HC-2 and do another "find product" and see what happens.

Alan

--- Quote ---Blue common is actually Vcc (+), not Ground (-) as is commonly associated with the word common. Anything hooked to the blue wire must have sufficient resistance to ground to limit current below LM limit.
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I'm not sure what that means. Is bundling up the 4 wires and connecting to the blue wire how it's done? If one of the 4 wires somehow is not connected would that cause a problem or just make that LED not work? Also if it makes a difference the 1K Ohm resistors I used are 1/4 W. Electronics are not my forte. You're knowledge (from reading your other posts) makes me envious.

Dean

--- Quote ---It might sound like a lot of work, but I would unsolder everything after making a diagram of the wiring. Then just connect the black and red to the track power and the orange and grey to the motor
--- End quote ---

I was thinking along those lines. If I did fry the module I'd be leery about trying another one unless I knew that if I make a mistake with a next step that it just wouldn't work and not short the module.

So I will test the module tomorrow. If it's good I'll start over. If it isn't I don't know what I'll do. I would hate to kill another one.

Thanks all for your help.
Yves in Alberta

Alan:

--- Quote ---Is bundling up the 4 wires and connecting to the blue wire how it's done?
--- End quote ---
Yes, providing no wire in the blue bundle goes directly to a light output (green, white, yellow, or violet) without passing through a resistor and a LED (or bulb) on the way i.e. no short circuits between the blue wire and the G,W,Y, or V wires.

--- Quote ---If one of the 4 wires somehow is not connected would that cause a problem or just make that LED not work?
--- End quote ---
The LED would not work. No other problem.

--- Quote ---1K Ohm resistors I used are 1/4 W
--- End quote ---
It is good practice to never use a resistor at more than 60% of its rated power. Using a 1K resistor at 15V = 0.225W. Your 1/4W (0.250W) resistor is operating at 90%. Chances are there will be no problem. Just be aware you are on the ragged edge of resistor power handling.

yvesmary:
Alan

--- Quote ---It is good practice to never use a resistor at more than 60% of its rated power. Using a 1K resistor at 15V = 0.225W. Your 1/4W (0.250W) resistor is operating at 90%. Chances are there will be no problem. Just be aware you are on the ragged edge of resistor power handling
--- End quote ---

Okay, now I see. I always wondered about the difference between wattages of resistors. Thanks.

I'm a little relieved today. I tested the "dead" module in another loco after deleting it from the HC-2 and it worked. The lights worked and it ran forward and backwards fine.

I checked all the wires again and everything seems good. So I'll hook the harnesses back up and try it again.

Yves in Alberta

William Brillinger:
FYI: If anyone in Canada needs to return a module to Ring, and does not want to send it through customs, contact me about getting it across the border for you.

yvesmary:
Will keep that in mind. Thanks Bill

Yves in Alberta

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version