RailPro > RailPro Specific Help & Discussion

Speaker comparisons

(1/3) > >>

Archive:
Originally posted by kpack05 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Jul 15, 2015

While testing various installations of speakers, I made some recordings of what the sound was like using different speakers.  Here's a video showing side-by-side comparisons that I think is rather revealing.

HO model railroad speaker comparison

The recordings were made with a Tascam DR-05 and Seinhauser mic.  What you hear on the video is what I hear in person.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions and thoughts regarding the different speakers.

-Kevin

Archive:
Originally posted by William Brillinger on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Jul 16, 2015

I'm not sure what to say about these, except to say I know I don't like the round speaker for sure.
It would be nice to have an example of the real sound for comparison too.

- Bill

Archive:
Originally posted by kpack05 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Jul 16, 2015

I don't have any recordings of actual locomotives, otherwise I would've included them.  Or better yet, sent them on to Tim to have him replace the current prime mover files. 

I agree, the rounds are pretty terrible.  I used to think they were okay, but then I started using the DSM-8.  Now I'm leaning towards replacing everything with Knowles as I think they add a bit more depth to the sound.

-Kevin

Archive:
Originally posted by picturemaker22 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Jul 16, 2015

Kevin

I certainly agree with Bill regarding the round speakers, they sounded rather tinny. I do prefer the Railmaster DSM-8 speakers overall, the Knowles Grand come in second, they seem a bit muffled.

I have three locomotives that have DS1436-8 Railmaster speakers installed. They sound very much like the DSM-8's, though I do wish that they had better bass response.

Mel

Archive:
Originally posted by kpack05 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Jul 16, 2015

Mel,

I used to have some D1436-8's installed but I felt that the bass/lower notes were virtually non-existent.  I replaced most of those with DSM-8's.  The DSM's are certainly much more difficult to install due to size, but their casing is fairly thick and can be shaved down with a Dremel or mill. If you do happen to make a hole it can easily be patched.

The DSM can be extremely loud and certainly has good, clear sound.  However, sometimes I still feel like there is a bit too much treble with those speakers.  It helps to mount it facing down....the sound will exit the frame cutout for the trucks and spread out over the ground, helping to dissipate the shrill higher notes.  The shrill sounds are especially noticeable with air blasts and such. 

The Knowles is definitely muffled in the 645 Turbo sample.  The locomotive shell I have them installed in right now has zero openings, and barely any openings for the trucks.  Most of the sound is trapped.  Once I detail that loco there will be openings for all the fans (Cannon) and I should be able to hear much more of the higher notes.  Hopefully not too much though.

I will say that the Knowles seem to be able to add much more bass (probably not true bass, ie sub 100hz) than the DSM.  They certainly sound lower in person and seem to have a little more "depth".  The higher notes are much more subdued, especially the air let-offs and such.  That may or may not be a good thing though....I have a hard time hearing the air compressor now, but thankfully the other air let offs aren't so overpowering (especially on the 645 roots).

Thanks for the input Mel! 

-Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version