General > General Discussion

Experiment in terror

(1/4) > >>

darryl.trains:
 I was trying use the AM-1 accessory to run my NJ International switch machines or at least I made the attempt to with no fan fair. Not enough juice to work the machine. Now I tried my Tam Valley DCC booster which has more power and using the AM-1. Well, so far so good as the light on the AM-1 went to green and the booster showed some lights.  Bummer, the switch motor kind of wanted to move when powered but alas the red light came on the AM-1... Back to the research board.

I just might have to use my old, really old, Scale Shops screw drive switch machines. They use very little current to make the screw move.     Cheers, Darryl  ###########

William Brillinger:
Are those the old NJ Twin Coil switch machines?
Do you know what their resistance rating is?

From the manual: Snap switch resistance must be between 3.6 and 20 Ohms. Never use
a switch with more than 20 ohms unless it can have power applied
continuously without damage.

Dean:
Sounds like two small inexpensive relays is all you need.
Set the AM-1 for 3 wire snap switch. Run one output wire from the AM-1 positive to one relay coil and the negative to the other relay coil, with with the common to both relay coils. Supply one relay normally open contact in each relay with power from your power supply. Connect the other side of the contact to the switch machine, one relay to each coil. Supply a common to the switch machine common.
Now you can use the AM-1 to control the switch machine without over loading it.
I hope my explanation makes sense.
Small glass relays with sockets can be picked for cheap on E Bay or Amazon.

darryl.trains:
  Here's the thing, not to give up yet. I remembered I had a number of Ken Stapleton's ( Canada ) kits that were used to control with caps in the system to throw twin coils like NJ International switch machines. Although this system has a toggle switch on the board, that can be removed and just run wire to the AM-1. But the thing, where did I put those rascals?

I'll be back #######  Darryl

darryl.trains:
 I did find the system but in the process of searching, I found another system that surely should work. NCE  ' Snap-It ' .   I'll see how that works later on today as the wife has other plans for me to go shopping.

Cheers, Darryl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version