Author Topic: RailPro Control of Turnouts  (Read 4103 times)

Homeless by Choice

• Fireman
RailPro Control of Turnouts
« on: December 19, 2016, 11:42:16 AM »
As I stated in an introductory post, I have been doing a lot of reading, researching, and planning an HO layout.  My railroad will be a point to point operation with a possibility of expansion to a continuous loop.

I like the idea of manually throwing turnouts because I see that used on many sidings.  I also see the remotely controlled turnouts on the long haul trains.  Hence my questions:

1.  Can turnouts be controlled by the RailPro system?

2.  And what would be required to activate the turnout motors?

LeRoy
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:42:13 PM by Homeless by Choice »
Retired, Homeless, and full timer RVer.  I live in my truck camper and roam the USA, Canada, and Alaska.  I sold my home to my son but I still have full access to the entire lower level.  I have somewhat of a HO bench plan designed.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: RialPro Control of Turnouts
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 11:57:55 AM »
LeRoy,

The product you want for controlling turnouts is the AM-1
http://ringengineering.com/AM-1.htm

The manual is posted here:
http://ringengineering.com/RailPro/Documents/AM-1UsersManual.pdf

It should work with almost any type of switch machine, Relay or motor based.
The instructions provided should easily get you going.

I use only manual turnouts on my layout, so I have no actual experience with the AM-1 for turnout control, Others here will surely share their stories.

As a side note: Personally I wouldn't want to control turnouts from the HC, simply because it seems cumbersome compared to a simple toggle or pushbutton on the layout fascia.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 12:58:14 PM »
I agree with Bill regarding turnout control from the HC. Our railroad empires are so short in track mileage that you often cross many turnouts in just a few minutes. Knowing the alignment of those turnouts prior to crossing them is critical for smooth realistic operation. Controlling those turnouts from the HC (or any DCC controller for that matter) means a lot of time spent looking at and tapping on the controller screen. Barring having functional switch stands, it also means there is no on-layout visual for the engineer (you) or other operators to know turnout positions thus forcing everyone to spend a lot of time tapping on their controllers. Looking at the physical alignment of the point rails can be tough on the eyes after a period of time, is often obscured by scenery, and isn't practical from any real distance.

Fascia panels are as popular as they are for good reason - they are an excellent solution. So if you make a fascia panel with indicators you may as well add switches for control. Functional switch stands work well too but can be finicky to build or expensive to buy. Manual ground throws (if you are OK with out of scale appearance) are a good low cost solution and many people enjoy bending the iron themselves.

Another point in favor of fascia panels is controls for items other than turnouts. For instance, on my layout the fascia panels have controls and indicators for the turnouts as well as controls and indicators for animated objects. As an example here is the control panel for a coal tipple spur. The turnouts are black buttons with red/green/yellow turnout position indicators. The white buttons control animation of the coal tipple and the grade brake. Additionally, power district fault indicators are also on the panel.

So before you commit to using HC controlled turnouts give thought to all the things on your layout that may need control or indication and whether you really want to spend a lot of time looking at the controller or not.

control panel - mettiki mine.png
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 06:04:50 PM »
For switches within my reach, I operate them manually using Caboose throws. For the switches out of reach, I use the HC-2 and AM-1's. I have become accustomed to switching screens on the controller and have no problem with that when necessary. I wanted a simple to use system, and RailPro fit the bill. I admire Alan's understanding of electrical devices and wiring, and his layout is outstanding (check out his website  ;) ),  but it is beyond my comprehension. The nice part about RP is that you can operate the entire layout, including accessories, directly from the controller if that is what you want to do, yet it has the flexibility to be set up any way you like, including fascia panels, relays, etc.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Homeless by Choice

• Fireman
Re: RailPro Control of Turnouts
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 08:44:15 PM »
Bill,
I have previously looked at the RailPro website but didn’t understand the AM-1.  I reviewed and downloaded both User Manuals.  They answered my questions about interfacing/controlling turnouts thru the HC-2 controller.  I also doubt that radio controlled turnouts is a good way to go and your comments helped reinforce that opinion.

Alan,
I have read your entire blog on the LK&O development.  It is fantastic.  It helped me envision the entire building and component selection process.  I like the looks of your trackside turnout panel and I may emulate it if I need some remote turnout motors.

Al,
I had previously looked at the Caboose Industries website and their ground throws.  They are the ones that I had in mind.

Your three replies confirmed that using manual ground throws are the better way for my railroad at this time because they are more prototypical.

Thank you for helping me.
LeRoy
Retired, Homeless, and full timer RVer.  I live in my truck camper and roam the USA, Canada, and Alaska.  I sold my home to my son but I still have full access to the entire lower level.  I have somewhat of a HO bench plan designed.

Antoine L.

• Engineer
Re: RailPro Control of Turnouts
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 08:40:41 AM »
I used Caboose undustrie ground throws too, at first enjoying them.
Then, bleh.
I ended up no enjoyign them so much, especially in a yard where you're constantly putting your hands on those things. I'll go for Bill's Simple switch machine with Peco switches on my next layout, after I am done with renovations of our bathroom.

Cheers!

Antoine
Modeling a mix of CN / Wisconsin central on a 12x15 freelance area.