General > General Discussion

The Future of Model Railroad Control

(1/2) > >>

Alan:
Most RailPro users have read numerous times how DCC users berate RP for not being compatible and thus requiring a complete change-over with the associated cost. It is a valid concern for someone heavily invested in DCC. Might this same situation one day apply to us RP users? Sadly, I think it will. Even more sad, I think it will come much faster for us than the 10+ years it took for DCC.

Take a look at the below email newsletter I received today from DigiKey. You don't need to know anything tech to realize the world of IOT (Internet of Things) is developing at breakneck speed. Most of the items featured in the newsletter are itsy bitsy little SMD (surface mount device) components that will fit in model trains. The basic building blocks for an advanced model railroad control system are being developed independently and without cost to the model railroad community. IOT offers one particularly significant  advantage over proprietary MRR control systems - programability. The very same lure the hobby has right now with Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc.

How long before some bright individual assembles these off-the-shelf IOT components into a workable MRR system and then posts the plans on the Internet for all to see? It would be like the next evolution of the Arduino rage. Free sketches for all! As the newsletter demonstrates, the IOT pieces needed already exist or will soon. All that's missing is ingenuity.

I am going to continue enjoying my RP controlled trains and not sweat the future. But, I am also going to keep my eye on IOT. Anyone want to buy a used RP system? Just kidding of course. For now.

http://info.digikey.com/index.php/email/emailWebview?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT1RVM1pUaGpObUkxWVdOaCIsInQiOiJmbFJkMGptSjNxRkhFL2ZPWEVBZ213bit2K095VXMrNHVLREFQUk8yV2IzZDFnYUUySUF0Umh5eWgrZVNKMmRYOHJDVkVmWng1OFdFZzVzWTducldxVUFBWEZBMHBCbkhTZW4reGcvWm9zNmlSN28xWjZtNzMrUXdkc0pVSDdFaCJ9

Antoine L.:
The NMRA will slow things down as much as possible like they always do. "We've always done it that way, why do it any other way?"

nodcc4me:
Alan, much of what you say is true. However, look how long it took for DCC to become outdated. Although the digital age is progressing faster now than it was twenty years ago, I doubt if most of us old timers have to worry about a replacement for RailPro. From my experience, most model railroaders that I have seen are old timers. One of the missions of my club is to get younger people interested in the hobby. That is easier said than done. For those who do, the future should hold some pretty interesting developments.

TwinStar:
My mission is to gravitate people away from DCC and to fixed DC. Whether they choose RailPro, BlueRail, IOT, or anything else that comes along is fine with me. However, what we must do is standardize the power supply and current detection and let each operator choose the system of their choice.

Alan:

--- Quote ---However, what we must do is standardize the power supply
--- End quote ---

This part is already done - low cost 15V 5A switch mode power supplies available everywhere.

And as the layout power demands grow simply swap in bigger power.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version