RailPro > RailPro Specific Help & Discussion

Programming hiccups??

(1/4) > >>

Archive:
Originally posted by Shawn Hogan on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Sep 12, 2015

Hello group!
I've not yet purchased any Rail Pro product but I was wondering if anyone could comment on a question I have about this control system.
I am following some other discussion groups here on yahoo and I'm amazed at the seeming complexity that one must go through to get a decoder "right"!!
Has anyone using Rail Pro lost a function say a whistle or similar while "tweaking/re-mapping" etc? Is such activity necessary or even possible with Rail Pro? I believe you call them "modules" instead of decoders, correct?

Archive:
Originally posted by kpack05 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Sep 12, 2015

Shawn,

I have never had a problem like what you described with Railpro.  I used to be in DCC and had issues a few times with locomotive's addresses being chnaged on their own.  I also experienced more than once my locomotives showing up showing up on someone else's throttle while I was controlling it....therefore losing control and causing accidents.  Aggravating to say the least.

Never lost a function with Railpro, and I'm not even sure it's possible.  There are no "CV's" as there are in DCC so we don't have to deal with any of the issues that might arise with CV's.

There is plenty of tweaking you can do with Railpro but it is niether complex nor difficult.  Alternatively you can just plug the module in, run the simple full load motor current test, and use the locomotive without ever doing anything else to it.

For me, I like to tweak settings in order to have everything running exactly the way I want it.  I enjoy doing it, but other might not.

-Kevin

Archive:
Originally posted by Shawn Hogan on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Sep 12, 2015

Thanks for sharing that, Kevin! I don't mind tweaking to suit myself or operating habits, it just seemed to me in reading some of the DCC threads that it's a necessary evil. Don't want to paint with to broad a brush but having to keep track of all those CVs seems to me to be "rain on the parade".

Archive:
Originally posted by LK&O on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Sep 12, 2015

I share Kevin's experience. Have never lost any module settings. This even includes a rather abusive process when I was testing my electronic circuit breakers where I repeatedly shorted out a short section of track a loco was running on. Each time the loco resumed correct operation when the short was removed and the breaker reset. That same testing session would have given DCC decoders fits.

The only adjustment I often make is momentum for accel and decel. I like to adjust it according to train length for more realistic train control. I do this on the fly.

Archive:
Originally posted by William Brillinger on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Sep 12, 2015

I too will echo Kevin and Alan's experience. I have never lost settings
on a Railpro controller or module.

Railpro was specifically designed to overcome the complexity and
challenges of maintaining and using DCC, and as far as I can tell, it
has succeeded.

- Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version