General > General Discussion

Good video explaining SM power supplies

(1/2) > >>

Alan:
On many threads there is discussion about power supplies and battery converters. Whether we are talking about RP power supplies, DCC power supplies, wall warts, laptop power bricks, cell phone chargers, or even battery converters for dead rail they all share one thing in common - they are all switch mode power supplies at heart.

I stumbled across this great video that explains the fundamental operation of a switch mode power supply in an easily understood way.

frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

G8B4Life:
That is a good video Alan. I would certainly hope though that the PSU in my PC is more complicated than shown in the video  ;D

I think I'll have to watch it again once it isn't in the wee hours anymore; and see what their other videos have to say as well.

- Tim

Alan:
Functionally, the video accurately describes the PSU in your PC. Yes, your PC supply has multiple output voltages, features, and safeguards hence the increased component count but the fundamental principle is the same.

Here is the inside of an Apple laptop PSU. Notice the items labeled in purple are identified in the video. The items labeled in brown and green are needed because the Apple PSU operates from AC house current instead of a battery as shown in the video. The items labeled in blue are a refined version of what is a single capacitor in the video. The only significant difference is the micro controller that manages the Apple device. Surprisingly simple, eh?

G8B4Life:
I'm not sure if you got my smiley, but it was supposed to be a tongue in cheek poke at the comment at the end of the video.

--- Quote ---...hence the increased component count...

--- End quote ---
I can't resist, maybe I'm over tired. Here is the inside of my PC's PSU

Courtesy link, with more pictures: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_750/4.html

Well, not my own PSU but the same make and model. I wouldn't even know where to start labeling that out (I would make a terrible PSU reviewer and tester  :D ).

As for simple, well I'll call that objective.

- Tim, who is up waaaaay past his bedtime again!

Alan:
Yeah, simple is a relative term. I can calculate the resonant frequency of an LC circuit on the back of a napkin. My wife finds that to be mind boggling. I think it is simple. Yet with a single subtle motion she can get the horses to do exactly what she wants while I can barely get them to whoa. She says talking to a horse is simple. I find it incomprehensible. Everyone has their thing I suppose. Thank goodness for her playing with trains doesn't require formulae and trains, unlike horses for me, do exactly what you tell them.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version