RailPro > Finished RailPro Installation Examples

Installing a TCS KA3 or KA4 on an LM-3S without a bridge rectifer

<< < (3/4) > >>

William Brillinger:
Installing the KA on the Blue (Com) and Yellow (Neg) lines provides constant internal power to the LM and eliminates sound and light drop outs. In my experience, a locomotive will remain in motion for up to 15 seconds with this arrangement. Small power disruptions are a thing of the past with KA's properly installed using either method.

Here is the wiring diagram for installing a KA with a Bridge Rectifier:

jimw:
Bill: That makes sense to me, with the KA capacitor protected (from track polarity reversals) by the bridge rectifier. Your new diagram shows a LM-2, but I presume a LM-3 (or any track-powered device) could be wired in this manner.    Since the bridge rectifier in this schematic handles the full locomotive current, I expect it will require a higher current rating than those used in light-only circuits.  I would appreciate any current information ;) you could provide on these specifications, as I am considering this approach for my installations (and that "Magic Smoke" is SO expensive!)

Alan: Does this configuration mitigate the concern about shorts you referenced in your May 12 comment?

Jim

Alan:

--- Quote from: jimw on October 29, 2017, 12:01:13 PM ---
Alan: Does this configuration mitigate the concern about shorts you referenced in your May 12 comment?

Jim

--- End quote ---

Yes.

Bill:
I believe the bridge rectifier method might prevent using it with a dcc controller.  Anyone checked this out?

Alan:

--- Quote from: Bill on December 08, 2017, 10:19:45 PM ---I believe the bridge rectifier method might prevent using it with a dcc controller.  Anyone checked this out?

--- End quote ---

Shouldn't. RP doesn't get its control signal from the rails. If you open up a LM you will see the very first thing the red and black wires go to is a bridge rectifier (4 SMD diodes). Adding an external bridge for KA creates two bridges in series. DCC signals can't pass through a rectifier so a LM can't receive signals via track.

As I understand it, the CI-1 is radio broadcasting the DCC signal to the LM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version