Author Topic: Installation  (Read 2268 times)

DaveB

• Fireman
Installation
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »
Looks like Scale Trains SD40's are not real easy to install the LM's in. Has anyone done the new InterMountain gevo's yet.  Where do you get a 9 pin to 21 pin adapter? I have 2 Scale Trains SD40's, looks like a challenge.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Installation
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:42:09 AM »
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:42:37 AM »
I haven't wired up either if those brands yet, but here is a link to the 21 pin harness:
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/TCS-Harness-p/tcs-1352.htm
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 03:25:36 PM »
Dave,

There are several ways to install Railpro in a ScaleTrains SD40-2.  One way as shown by another member here was to purchase a 21-pin adapter (linked above) and plug in the module.  Another way, which is more complicated, is what I did.

I completely removed all factory electronics, keeping only the rear headlight LED.  The reason I removed all the other LEDs is because the prototype I am building has no class lights, but does have ditchlights.  The stock front headlight was too dim for my taste so I replaced it with my own LED.  I'm not interested in lighted number boards either so I removed those.  Removing the factory board frees up a ton of space above the weight.  Plenty of room for a module.  I also installed a keep-alive (located in the factory speaker box) and two sugar cube speakers.  It was all a tight fit, but definitely doable. 

Here you can see where I put the keep alive and associated bridge rectifier.  This is the only place the KA would fit due to its awkward shape.

Everything in place.  Note that there is just enough room for the module and two speakers up top.  Not much to spare.

From the side, nice and clean.  Note the wires going to the ditch lights and front trucks are tucked under where the cab would be.

And with the shell on you can see that everything fits with no interference.  The nose was removed in order to replace with an 81" nose per my prototype.

-Kevin

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »
Nice job Kevin, I'm planning to remove everything on my next install. I might even go back and redo the first one.