General > General Discussion

Removing decals

(1/2) > >>

Morebassman:
I bought 2 Kato SD80macs with the same road # by mistake. Both are 7216. I tried the various tecs. at utube (Micro sol) ... only to find that kato has a silkscreen process for decales. No matter how long I leave the micro sol on, it will not release. How can I remove these #'s Safely?
I have seen one description of using 91% alcohol but cautions on paint removal.
HELP!

Alan:
Have you tried a bit of alcohol on a swab or toothpick? Usually takes a little precision rubbing to get the job done.

http://www.katousa.com/consumers/changing-numbers.html

Morebassman:
Thanks Alan. I'll give a try alittle later.
 :)

Viper:
yep Alcohol and many Q tips and lots of patience :)

Morebassman:
Ok this is what I have experienced on kato decals. This was on the main side of loco.  They suck to remove. Tried the microsol, tried the 91% alchohol, (Lots of patience). Ended up after all of the processing ... used an xacto knife....and carefuly removed the 6 (Rd.# 7216)... Then Tried to add the 0 to make it Rd. # 7210. (I was successful)  Note... I planned on the 0 but it just happened to work out to cover the 6
Main shell was not that much of a problem with xacto knife. So I am done but hope not to do this again

Now to the fun part.   The number boards.... I had 12 decales.. (# 0) By the time i finished with this one loco.... I have (0)  left...
Here is what happened...  Some that wouldn't stick, some that would tear, and some that tore on place after I was done and thought all was well..
I went back to find out that one had mysteriously jumped off and landed on my bench? 
Overall I am happy with the outcome but I wish manufactures would let us apply our own rd.#

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version