General > General Discussion

Arduino 101

<< < (2/2)

Alan:
Certainly sounds like a complex track arrangement. Still, unless you are automating you need a way to control each Tortoise. That means pushing a button somewhere, whether on a Arduino input or a panel. Which brings me to my original question. If you have to push a button why use a microprocessor?

FWIW My layout has 79 Tortoise machines, 36 detection blocks, and no microprocessors. Signaling, which is in the design process right now, uses plain ole 4000 CMOS logic gates. Even with look ahead and tumble down, it still doesn't necessitate a microprocessor. That is why I am curious about your need for Arduino. Unless it is simply because you want to which is cool.

TwinStar:
Want? No. I want simple, easy, and affordable. The solution I found, and which I really like, allows for local control of switches, Tower control of switches, Tortoise position feedback, CTC signals, and a default to ABS signals when selected. The only downside is the cost which right now stands at roughly $20 per switch machine just for the Tortoise interface. I was simply looking for another solution which is why I looked at Arduino after reading a few articles about it and servo control.

All switches on this module will be tower controlled (save for a wye track to turn cars/power) with lockout panels for main line switches, position feedback of switch position, and control of signals with interface to the MSS (Modular Signal Standard). And I don't know how I want to build the panel but I don't think I want to haul around anything very large.

As I said, the original solution I found may be the best but I'm certainly open to other ideas.

Alan:
Sorry, I forgot you are mobile. I assume you need to interface with other peoples' modules. Please post your final solution. It may be helpful to others in similar situations.

garyiii:
a quick google search for "Arduino in model railroads"  will lead to thousands of useful articles,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version