General > General Discussion

Railcrew

(1/2) > >>

willist:
Does anyone know where I can buy Railcrew switch machines?

TwinStar:
There were supposed to be available from Rapido but I advise against them. They are 'snap' type machines like the old Atlas style of years ago. I recommend the MP-5 if you're needing a compact machine with two sets of DPDT or the MP-1 if you don't need as many contacts. They're both low profile adjustable slow motion machines.

http://www.modelrailroadcontrolsystems.com/mp5-switch-motor/

willist:
I need snap type machines, they are for Peco turnouts.

Alan:
Be aware you cannot use the LED in series arrangement of a Tortoise machine with a MP-5. The MP-5 requires 100mA drive current which far exceeds a LED max current. Only matters if you want LED position indication. With a MP-5 you would have to use its switch contacts for that purpose which means you can't use the switch contacts for frog power. Alternately, you could use a DPDT switch with one side for the MP-5 and the other for LED(s). Downside is a more wire to run especially if you have working illuminated switch stands. They may be old school but there is a good reason Tortoise are so popular.

As an example... I have LED switch stands and LED position indication on fascia panels and my frogs are powered. Tortoise is ideal for this situation. All three are accomplished with no other components thanks to the Tortoise 12mA current draw.

TwinStar:
Tortoise is the gold standard but they don't fit everywhere. Those suckers are big!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version