Author Topic: Re: Connection Problems  (Read 4041 times)

crzytrnbuf

• Fireman
Re: Connection Problems
« on: April 11, 2018, 12:53:13 PM »
 OK here goes I am generally a sane easy going person I have done everything to access Rail pro assistant since they upgraded all our system (Spectrum) to full HD and added phone service since they connected everything a week ago! it went into effect 4/10/18 I can no longer update download or have any activity with Railpro assistant I am so frustrated I thought this was going to be so great a system to work with and have FUN again running Trains I guess i was wrong so I guess this is it for me I feel really let down this system has to be easier to use or a lot of people are going to stop using Railpro I wasted a lot of money on a system I cannot use! 

Dean

• Conductor
Re: Re: Connection Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »
I don't why you can't use your system as is. My system is not upgraded to the latest and greatest and it works fine.
Have you removed and reinstalled RailPro Assistant since your internet upgrade?
Dean

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 07:04:40 PM »
OK here goes I am generally a sane easy going person I have done everything to access Rail pro assistant since they upgraded all our system (Spectrum) to full HD and added phone service since they connected everything a week ago! it went into effect 4/10/18 I can no longer update download or have any activity with Railpro assistant I am so frustrated I thought this was going to be so great a system to work with and have FUN again running Trains I guess i was wrong so I guess this is it for me I feel really let down this system has to be easier to use or a lot of people are going to stop using Railpro I wasted a lot of money on a system I cannot use!

Whoa, hold on there.  Before you make any rash decisions and jump ship let's dig into this a little deeper.  The problem is not with the Railpro software per se, it's with the internet provider after the upgrade.  Everything was fine before then, so the problem is likely just a setting in the router or a setting that needs to be changed by your ISP.

I'll wait for (the other) Tim to chime in here and get you on the right track, but usually all that is needed is to get into your router and make a couple of quick changes.  Then it should be back to normal.  Don't overreact just yet.  There have been several other users with similar problems and we have been successful at resolving most, if not all, of them.

-Kevin

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 12:28:02 AM »
crzytrnbuf...

There are a few of things that could have gone wrong for you with this, and they are very likely to have been caused by your ISP.

Firstly I'd check your firewall, it could be possible that it detected the changed internet connection as a new, different network so has applied a set of new rules which could be blocking RPA. I don't think is one this the answer but it's work checking.

Did you get a new modem/router provided to you by Spectrum as part of the upgrade? The next thing we'd usually check is the router settings, but this time, as you said Spectrum and upgraded we'll check something else first. Point your browser to this website: http://ipv6-test.com/ . If the IPv4 connectivity box says "Not Supported" then that's the issue right there; RPA does not work on IPv6, it requires IPv4.  If both the IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity boxes say supported we'll have to investigate that further, there could be a conflict.

You should also check you routers settings. Without knowing the brand and model number of your modem/router I can only give you some generic information (https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,656.0.html, scroll down to Routers) on how to do that.

- Tim

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 01:12:50 AM »
Tim:

Your contributions to RailPro and your knowledge are amazing and appreciated. But, why isn't Tim Ring here providing this support? This is his baby, this is his product, and these are his issues. The support from Ring is underwhelming. I can understand the frustrations from the new guys. The ancillary support just isn't there. DCC users swap one set of problems for another and I don't really see a net gain anymore from converting to RailPro from DCC until Ring gets their crap together.

Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 02:34:37 AM »
Jacob,

Thank you for the kind comments, it gave me a lift today.

As to the rest of your message, you have no idea how big the hole in my wall is from repeatedly bashing my head against it in regards to what you wrote. Personally, I believe I'm being ignored by Tim Ring now. If you all remember the software take down a little while back I sent two emails a couple of weeks apart explaining the reasons the software was hosted here and seeking permission for us to host the software with no reply to either email. Nice way to treat a person who had contributed a considerable amount of time and effort to the product line however, that won't stop me from offering my support to those users who need it.

- Tim
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:24:25 AM by G8B4Life »

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 02:46:22 AM »
Jacob,

Thank you for the kind comments, it gave me a lift today.

It's well earned. You, Bill, and Kevin are carrying a load that, while appreciated, you shouldn't be required to. I don't think Ring would have the success that it has today without you three and the support and documentation that has been provided. Why the adversarial relationship between RPUG and Ring is beyond me. I'm a firm believer in RailPro but if another product came out today that was plug and play without the RPA issues I'd make the wholesale change. I won't defend RailRro and when something better comes along I'll gladly embrace the new tech.

I know I'm preaching to the choir but it is a shame because the underlying technology is amazing. But if a guy can't get it to work then it's immaterial how much 'better' it is. Personally, I'm focusing on building my module, and the last of the 72 FastTrack turnouts, and waiting for the dust to either settle or to move on to something better.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 07:12:58 AM »
I expect that your computer has detected the network change and changed the firewall settings to use the public profile. Check the network and sharing center on the PC and make sure the network is set to HOME or WORK, and not public.

If this does not solve the problem... CALL (don't email) Ring Engineering at (219) 322-0279 and see if they can help you solve the problem.

Tim Ring is certain that these problems are few and far between, Please, if you are not able to connect to the Ring Engineering servers, Call Ring Engineering and bring them up to speed on your issue.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:35:37 AM by William Brillinger »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.