Author Topic: Recent posts link  (Read 150 times)

KiloWhiskey

• Fireman
  • Kevin W.
    • View Profile
Recent posts link
« on: April 15, 2019, 11:53:06 PM »
Can you please modify/ make bigger / bold type the link for the recent posts link so its easier to click...

Thanks
Kevin

In my defense, I was left unsupervised....

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Recent posts link
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 04:05:25 PM »
nope, I don't have any inclination to mess with the template output, but you could save a bookmark for it.

https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php?action=recent
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KiloWhiskey

• Fireman
  • Kevin W.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 06:44:29 PM »
Bummer, thanks anyway Sir.
Kevin

In my defense, I was left unsupervised....

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 07:10:57 PM »
Ok, I thought of an easy way to do this. You can now find Recent Posts in the Welcome section.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 09:28:03 AM »
Well there is another way to do this; with a bookmarklet!

I think all modern browsers have a bookmark bar these days so the below should be a usable solution. As the forum software prevents posting Javascript links I can't create the bookmarklets directly here so you can just drag them to the bookmark bar in your browser which would be the easiest way >:( . Until I create a separate page not constrained by the forum software to host the bookmarklets so you can just drag them to the bookmark bar you'll have to do it the hard way.

To do it the hard way you'll need to copy each of the bookmarklets you want to use into a new bookmark on the  bookmark bar. To create a new bookmark on the bookmark bar will be browser specific but for Firefox just right click on the bookmark bar and select new bookmark. Give it a name and paste the relevant code into it.

Then, when you click the bookmarklet in the bookmark bar the text on the page grows or shrinks accordingly. These bookmarklets are designed for Firefox but should work in any browser. Let me know if they don't work and I'll look into it.

These two bookmarklets increase/decrease the font size of links (all links on the page that is) only:

Link +
Code: [Select]
javascript:(function(){var%20p=document.getElementsByTagName('a');for(i=0;i<p.length;i++){if(p[i].style.fontSize){var%20s=parseInt(p[i].style.fontSize.replace("px",""));}else{var%20s=12;}s+=2;p[i].style.fontSize=s+"px"}})();
Link -
javascript:(function(){var%20p=document.getElementsByTagName('a');for(i=0;i<p.length;i++){if(p[i].style.fontSize){var%20s=parseInt(p[i].style.fontSize.replace("px",""));}else{var%20s=12;}s-=2;p[i].style.fontSize=s+"px"}})();
These two bookmarklets increase/decrease the font size of all the text on the page:

Font +
javascript:(function(){var%20p=document.getElementsByTagName('*');for(i=0;i<p.length;i++){if(p[i].style.fontSize){var%20s=parseInt(p[i].style.fontSize.replace("px",""));}else{var%20s=12;}s+=2;p[i].style.fontSize=s+"px"}})();
Font -
javascript:(function(){var%20p=document.getElementsByTagName('*');for(i=0;i<p.length;i++){if(p[i].style.fontSize){var%20s=parseInt(p[i].style.fontSize.replace("px",""));}else{var%20s=12;}s-=2;p[i].style.fontSize=s+"px"}})();
Note that these bookmarklets are not specific to RPUG, they'll do their thing on any website.

I can understand where Bill was coming from when he said nope. The forum template doesn't differentiate between latest/recent posts links and any other non-header links so to change just the latest/recent posts links would require a lot of work delving into the templates to find the proper place, add code to identify latest/recent post links and then add styling just for those links. I rekon Bill has better things to do.

- Tim

CPRail

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 02:54:11 PM »
Unless I'm missing something from the O.P.'s request, wouldn't it just be easier to click on the "Show unread posts since last visit" link under the "Hello XXXXX" header (see attached photo)? That's what I do.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's
Rabid Winnipeg Jets Fan - Go Jets Go!!