RailPro > RailPro Software Updates

HC-2 and HC-2b revision 2.09 released

<< < (4/9) > >>

TwinStar:

--- Quote from: CPRail on June 24, 2019, 06:36:13 PM ---Today's Update: HC-2b #1 is still dead. It sat on the charger for over 24 hours with no joy. I tried the reset button. I also tried holding down the reset button for a count of ten, still nothing.

What's next?

--- End quote ---

The reset button needs to be held in for an hour while on the charger. You can accomplish this with a short piece of tooth pick place under the HC making a 'half shelter' type of rig.

Somewhat related, this isn't supposed to be necessary with the newer hardware but it is. I got both of my HC-2's out which both have SW1021 2.06 installed. One showed a full red battery bar and the other one was dead. I left them charging overnight with no change. I had to do the one hour reset procedure to get them both back. I don't think the 'dead sleep' software is right on these yet.

William Brillinger:
Dang, Tim didn't suggest this for Ian's HC. It's on it's way in to Ring Right now. :(

TwinStar:

--- Quote from: William Brillinger on July 01, 2019, 09:10:54 AM ---Dang, Tim didn't suggest this for Ian's HC. It's on it's way in to Ring Right now. :(

--- End quote ---

I had to dig and find it. This technique was in an email from Tim back in 2015. Here's the text:

You might have a HC with the original software.  If that is the case you will need to do the following.

The reset button needs to be held in for up to an hour.  The way to accomplish this is like in the picture below.  You can cut off a toothpick to the length in the picture below and insert it in the reset hole.  Then gently press the handheld down until you hear or feel the reset button move.  It moves very little about 1/32 of an inch.  Please do not press too hard because you can damage the reset button.  Then leave the HC charging for an hour then remove the tooth pick (charger still plugged in).  The screen should light up and say charging.  It will not fully charge from a rest.  So after you use it a few minutes you will need to charge it again. After that it should be working as usual.  After it is charging and running a long time on a charge, then update the software to prevent this from happening in the future even if the batteries become very depleted. 

Why this worked with my newer software (2.06) is beyond me but it did fix both of my different issues.

TwinStar:
Well, a brief followup.

We're hosting a small Free-mo setup in January and my friend Kevin got his HC-2 out to get some locos ready and his HC is dead. He followed all the steps and nothing. Tim said it's probably a dead battery and it's going back. 

So, I offered to loan one of my two and he accepted. I got them out last night to charge and one is dead and one is alive. Frustrating.

2 out of our 3 HC's are dead right before a setup.

KPack:
When was the last time you turned the HC's on or charged them?  I haven't had much time to run trains myself, but I turn them on occasionally and put the HC's on the chargers monthly. 

You could just pop the back and replace the batteries yourself, if you're so inclined.  Ring would disapprove for sure.  But as long as they are replaced with the same size and type battery, I don't see how there could be any harm.

-Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version