RailPro > RailPro Software Updates

EMD 567-16 ULT Prime mover available

<< < (3/5) > >>

TwinStar:

--- Quote from: Juxen on August 02, 2019, 11:43:07 AM ---I'm curious as to what sort of equipment was used in the recording of these locos?

I used to work at (and still have contacts with) a shortline railroad in the Midwest. It has the following (operational):

SW1200
SW1200RS
GP8
GP9
MP15AC
GP40-2
SD40-2

Don't know if that'd be any help for recordings, but the owner of the railroad likes to go out of his way to help the railfans.

--- End quote ---

Welcome! And I'll second Kevin, what a resource you have access to.

ON28:

--- Quote from: KPack on August 01, 2019, 06:57:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tom on August 01, 2019, 05:02:36 PM ---I just installed the new 567-16 ULT and compared it to the old 567.  Now, my recollection as to what a 567 actually sounded like is long gone, but the 567-16 ULT seems to be higher pitched, almost tinny, and less throaty than the old 567.  Hope it is reasonably correct as it sounds nice.

--- End quote ---
I agree with your assessment, it is higher and does not play a lot of the lower notes.  It is accurate though....it was recorded right from a prototype through all the notches.  The problem was the location of the recording equipment as was discussed in this thread.  The exhaust sound drowned out the prime mover.  Bruce is working on getting another recording with the mic placed in a different location that will allow more of the prime mover to be recorded.

-Kevin

--- End quote ---

I agree. To compare, I have a Bowser F3 with an older Soundtraxx decoder, it definitely has more of the lower register whine. 

BruceRogers:
I'm all ears! The hardest part is getting the sounds under load. On older units without self load capability you need to pull a cut of cars along with the brakes on the train set. That means at least a mile of track to pull it off. Even a switch engine has more power than you think. If one can talk the shop guys into hooking the locomotive up to a load bank there's no need to move it. Of course that takes time too. Talking them into doing it for free is also tricky. So far I've got everything for RailPro for free. Just my time and gas invested.

Juxen:
Thanks all for the head's up! I actually used to work with them as a conductor, so I've got good contacts there.

And Bruce, I agree; one of the little switchers pulled 28 loads and one empty one afternoon, so there's quite a lot of weight there. Good news is, we (or they) rarely MU locomotives, and prefer to allow locomotives to pull all 20 or so daily cars with one loco.

BruceRogers:
For the recordings I used a Tascam recorder and an external microphone. On EMDs the long cord allows me to sit in the cab while recording to ensure it doesn't over peak. I'd be interested in Recording everything they have so we can all enjoy better sounding engines.
here's my email; bruce.rogers95@yahoo.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version