RailPro User Group
RailPro => RailPro Specific Help & Discussion => Topic started by: ON28 on August 17, 2026, 10:03:37 PM
-
Finding some quirks about controlling RP engines with my NCE Pro Cab. First, I was unable to connect at all with an LM2-equipped loco. Second, I found that you have to be in 128 speed step mode to connect with LM3 locos. Third, I had to first control speed with the wheel to get movement, only then would the speed buttons work. No MUing, but I knew that.
-
you should be able to use advanced consisting, but you will have to set the loco CV's manually.
does it support long and short DCC addresses?
-
Yes, but Tim Ring told me you can't MU RP and NCE because of the different speed step protocols.
Separately, I couldn't connect to Ring's server Saturday, I read that connectivity was knocked out by a storm? I will try again, but didn't know what the situation was.
-
??????
nce runs 128 ss...
sounds like he does not completely understand the options you can use with NCE consisting.
You use "old style" consisting, leave the original loco addresses, no programming is changed in the decoders... perhaps he was thinking only advanced consisting (which probably works, but might need some help, as it uses some special CVs and the RP most likely does not support them.
but the speed step protocols supported by NCE are 14, 28, and 128.... so I think it's just his inexperience with NCE or he got some bad info.
Greg
-
??????
nce runs 128 ss...
sounds like he does not completely understand the options you can use with NCE consisting.
You use "old style" consisting, leave the original loco addresses, no programming is changed in the decoders... perhaps he was thinking only advanced consisting (which probably works, but might need some help, as it uses some special CVs and the RP most likely does not support them.
but the speed step protocols supported by NCE are 14, 28, and 128.... so I think it's just his inexperience with NCE or he got some bad info.
Greg
I won't venture an opinion on Tim's knowledge but will say that for myself, I have only utilized advanced consisting with NCE. I'll try the old MU protocol and see what happens, thanks.
Elsewhere, this week a friend's DCC booster actually melted due to an internal short. Glad I don't have to worry about that.
-
right, in NCE language, when you create a consist, you do not select "Y" when it says "advanced consist?"...
it's the one where the locomotive address in the decoder is unchanged, and you do not use the internal consist address CVs.
so when you control the consist with the "phantom" consist number you selected, it sends individual commands to EACH loco in the consist.
that method has got to work for ANY decoder of ANY brand that works.... and should be available from ANY DCC system too. (of any reasonable quality)
Greg
-
The advanced mode has worked fine as long as the RP loco is the 'lead' loco (though not necessarily in the physical lead position). But that way I can't use the sounds for the lead DCC loco.
-
Catching up here, I tested and could only consist 1 RailPro loco per DCC consist (with no limit on the number of DCC locos in the consist). Trying to add more than 1 RP loco resulted in the additional engines not responding.
-
Did you use advanced or old style consisting - makes a difference