Author Topic: RailPro with ProtoThrottle  (Read 13518 times)

Smoke

• Fireman
Re: RailPro with ProtoThrottle
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2020, 11:23:07 PM »
I got a response back regarding the use of RailPro with the Proto Throttle and it is very favorable! Time will tell, but this is exciting news!

Quote from: Ring Engineering Email
We do have a project that is in development that may let that happen.  But that is all we would like to say at this time.
We also have our own idea as to how we would make something like that for RailPro too.

-Andrew

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 06:28:52 AM »
Now that is interesting. thanks Smoke!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 10:10:52 AM »
Well that's a better response than I expected.

I think the first one has been in development for a few years, there is "something" I remember from way back around the time we got DCC functionality in the LM's so maybe some scope creep creeping in to add PT capability?.  The second one could be interesting if it gets developed.

- Tim

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 10:35:22 AM »
Just FYI, my buddy in a BNSF engineer and a DCC user. He's used the ProtoThrottle and says there's no way to use it realistically. DCC doesn't handle lights correctly and he has to reprogram all of his decoders to get his 1:87 locos to function like his 1:1 locos. He said it's a cool toy but he wouldn't ever get one since it can't be made to do what he's had to fix in DCC.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 05:52:10 PM »
Not being an engineer, I wonder what it is about the lights that isn't correct?  And can Railpro do the lights like the 1:1?  I'm not sure.  I seem to recall seeing BNSF locomotives have the headlight dimmed while idling, then when they are ready to move, the headlights go to full brightness and both ditchlights come to full brightness simultaneously with the headlight.  Currently Railpro doesn't allow that, if that's indeed what the prototype does.  It could, however, be made to do that pretty easily.  In fact, with the lighting editor we could probably make it ourselves.

I do like the notching part of Protothrottle but I find myself just using the auto load feature more and more on Railpro.  I used to manual notch everything but the load feature is just easier.  I still want the ability to "coast" the train so it drops to idle while moving, or lock the speed while sending the prime mover to run 8 for hills (akin to Loksound).  I find ways to get around it but it would be nice to have those features at my fingertips.

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 06:21:53 PM »
I still want the ability to "coast" the train so it drops to idle while moving, or lock the speed while sending the prime mover to run 8 for hills (akin to Loksound).  I find ways to get around it but it would be nice to have those features at my fingertips.

You do have them, it's called "Manual Notching" ;)
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 09:45:20 PM »
I still want the ability to "coast" the train so it drops to idle while moving, or lock the speed while sending the prime mover to run 8 for hills (akin to Loksound).  I find ways to get around it but it would be nice to have those features at my fingertips.

You do have them, it's called "Manual Notching" ;)

Hoping for something with less button pressing....kind of a hybrid between auto and manual notching.  I got around the lack of coast feature by uploading a sound file with dead silence and putting on the dynamic brake symbol button.  Pressing it drops the prime movers of all locomotives to notch 1.  But there's no corresponding function to raise the prime mover up.