Author Topic: Looking to add more sound modules to my layout.  (Read 1737 times)

Roundhousecat

• Fireman
Looking to add more sound modules to my layout.
« on: June 16, 2020, 01:09:25 PM »
I've got a couple of LM-2S units that I need to install but am looking at getting a few more. I live in Canada. LM-3S is the newer unit. I've looked online and they are the same price.
Which do you recommend and where to buy and get cheaper shipping and products shipped to Canada?

Thanks.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Looking to add more sound modules to my layout.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 01:20:28 PM »
I would definitely recommend the LM-3s because it has more memory storage for files. Our site host, Bill, has new RP equipment for sale at very good prices. Click the logo at the top of the page and you'll find a link to his site.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 01:22:32 PM »
Go with the LM-3S, more memory room and easier to add a non-RP Keep-Alive.

I'm in Canada too. Last time I checked, Yankee Dabbler had decent pricing and free ship to Canada. Bill, our awesome RPUG keeper, sells them as well, but he can only ship to the US. If you are close to the border or have a US connection that might work as well. Check him out at pdc.ca
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 05:22:40 PM »
Ring doesn't support LM2 anymore, correct? Does that mean they will cease to function at some point without software update?

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 05:31:12 PM »
I doubt they will cease to function, but as new, larger files are released the LM-2's will not be able to accommodate them. We are seeing that already with some of the sound files. I am still using about a dozen LM-1's, mostly in steam engines. Their memory capacity is very low, comparatively speaking.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Roundhousecat

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 12:46:50 PM »
I've ordered from Yankee Dabbler before from ebay. Looking at getting around 5 more modules to work with. https://www.pwrs.ca/ does sell them but they're only selling the LM-2S units. I'll ask them if they sell the LM-3S ones.

Another question: Looking to build a collapsible shelf table sectional. Approx 10 x 15 x10. The PWR-56 should be able to handle this area correct? Do I need another larger power supply such as the PWR-75 to run everything for power?

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 01:31:10 PM »
My layout is 13 x 24-ish and I'm running a PWR-56. I have the diesel shop set-up with an on-off toggle as the initial power up can't handle all the Keep-Alives at once. Once the layout is powered up, I flick the toggle for the diesel shop. So far, no issues.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

Roundhousecat

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 12:18:51 PM »
I have a spare bedroom I can use and was looking at modular u shaped layout. Basically 6 feet by 5 feet by 6 feet. Making it portable and so that the tables will be able to fold down for easy storage when company comes over to spend the weekend with me. Basically I want to be able to take the layout off, fold the legs up and transport it to my basement.
The PW-56 should be enough power for the setup I think.

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 10:42:33 AM »
I've ordered from Yankee Dabbler before from ebay. Looking at getting around 5 more modules to work with. https://www.pwrs.ca/ does sell them but they're only selling the LM-2S units. I'll ask them if they sell the LM-3S ones.

Digging up an older thread here, but wanted to mention, if you choose to purchase from Yankee Dabbler, you get much better prices from their website than off eBay.  They increase their eBay prices to help cover the eBay fees.  I use them all the time for DCC stuff, but prefer pdc.ca for my Railpro equipment.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com