Author Topic: Revisiting UI and UX ...again!  (Read 2449 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Revisiting UI and UX ...again!
« on: June 25, 2020, 09:58:39 AM »
With DigiTrax's release of their new throttle, apart from the interesting choice of shape (see the picture on the second page of this MRH thread if you don't get the shape right away:https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/39897) DigiTrax users just got a huge UI (User Interface) boost compared to what they previously had and that got me thinking, yet again, about what we have with our white and dark blue screen.

Personally I think the RP UI just doesn't look at good as it could, or should, for what RP is supposed to offer over other control systems. To me it's looking dated compared to what other systems that now offer a proper RGB screen (touch or not) have.

Many of you will remember my two and a bit year old thread on a less white UI: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,630.0.html and the comments then were favourable to what I had put up. What's everyone thoughts these days? Are you happy enough with the current UI? You'd like a new UI? Can't see the point in my pursuit? Tim just stop wasting bandwidth?

I did a little refresh work on one of the UI idea's from my Less White UI thread. If people are interested I'll post them for comment. If enough people like the different ideas then we could probably take the ideas to RE.

- Tim

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Revisiting UI and UX ...again!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 11:14:32 AM »
Tim, I’m not unhappy with the screen colors as much as I am about the delay time when going from one screen to another. Still, I’m sure we would like to see what changes you have made.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

GMM6809

• Engineer
  • Glenn M.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 04:06:44 PM »
Tim, I really like this one:

With the 2px outline. I always like having a darker background, it saves battery, doesn't make the screen as hot (potentially) Can't wait to get my hands on an actually hand held. (I only have the computer interface currently)
Glenn M.

Staff Sergeant in the Marine Corps.

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 06:35:44 PM »
My vote is for the 2x outline and the background like Glenn’s post. If there is enough demand, Ring will implement at least some of the suggestions.
Cecil
ATSF

KiloWhiskey

• Engineer
  • Kevin W.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 10:09:31 PM »
I really like the screen in the photo...

Kevin
Kevin

In my defense, I was left unsupervised....

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 04:02:50 PM »
I am always baffled when I see icons and text combined. Isn't the whole purpose of an icon to make text unnecessary? Conversely, if there is text why have an icon. Picking one or the other would go a long way towards de-cluttering the screen (which is needed IMHO).
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 06:38:19 PM »
I like the idea of icons with descriptions or descriptions with no icons. Some time ago, Tim or someone else posted a nice chart of all the RP icons along with their descriptions. There's no way I would remember what they all stand for without descriptions.  :o 
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 06:44:23 PM »
I like the idea of icons with descriptions or descriptions with no icons. Some time ago, Tim or someone else posted a nice chart of all the RP icons along with their descriptions. There's no way I would remember what they all stand for without descriptions.  :o

Descriptions with no icons would be my choice as well.

Icons also suffer with relevance between diesel and steam.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 12:26:58 AM »
I'd like to see a fast clock added, and performance monitors (module temp-voltage-current)/throttle on same page. A side button for direction would be nice, more reachable with one hand than on-screen

Also, the casing needs an integral loop for a lanyard. Does anyone get a hand fatigue from the HC weight? Maybe if the HC was elongated and narrowed, there would be better weight distribution. 

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 07:17:36 AM »
...Also, the casing needs an integral loop for a lanyard. Does anyone get a hand fatigue from the HC weight? Maybe if the HC was elongated and narrowed, there would be better weight distribution.

Yes to all.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 09:24:31 AM »
I am always baffled when I see icons and text combined. Isn't the whole purpose of an icon to make text unnecessary?

Not really, think of everyday stuff you see and you'll see a lot have both, a pictogram and text. Two very quick examples I can think of are an exit sign and a fire extinguisher sign; both have the pictogram and text.  Road signs too have many cases with a pictogram and text. While there are very good reasons in the real world for combining a pictogram with text I kind of think of of it this way, the pictogram is the indicator of the function (whether to exit a building or to turn on the front light of your locomotive) and the text is the conformation of the function. With RailPro because you can make any button do anything regardless of the pictogram chosen you need to have the text as well.

There is an issue with having text only buttons if the text is user entered like the button text is now as certain function buttons actually control logic within the controller. It's not insurmountable though. I'll have to mock up a "just text" version of the function buttons.

Some time ago, Tim or someone else posted a nice chart of all the RP icons along with their descriptions. There's no way I would remember what they all stand for without descriptions.  :o 

Yep, that was me, and as usual got the evil stare from 10,000 miles away for the effort. I haven't looked at that guide in ages but I think I still don't know what all the buttons are supposed to be, and I still haven't seen an official buttons guide from RE yet.

and performance monitors (module temp-voltage-current)/throttle on same page.

That information is just one button press away on the control locomotive screen so I'm unsure if your just unaware that you can access it or if your wanting it on the same screen as as the main controlling screen. Given the way that info is presented I don't think you could fit all that on the controlling screen. If the controller was able to report those monitors in numbers and not graphs then it could be possible, but at the expense of what on the controlling screen? There is only an finite amount of space available.

- Tim

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 02:04:24 PM »
I am always baffled when I see icons and text combined. Isn't the whole purpose of an icon to make text unnecessary?

Not really, think of everyday stuff you see and you'll see a lot have both, a pictogram and text. Two very quick examples I can think of are an exit sign and a fire extinguisher sign; both have the pictogram and text.  Road signs too have many cases with a pictogram and text. While there are very good reasons in the real world for combining a pictogram with text I kind of think of of it this way, the pictogram is the indicator of the function (whether to exit a building or to turn on the front light of your locomotive) and the text is the conformation of the function. With RailPro because you can make any button do anything regardless of the pictogram chosen you need to have the text as well.

There is an issue with having text only buttons if the text is user entered like the button text is now as certain function buttons actually control logic within the controller. It's not insurmountable though. I'll have to mock up a "just text" version of the function buttons.

Some time ago, Tim or someone else posted a nice chart of all the RP icons along with their descriptions. There's no way I would remember what they all stand for without descriptions.  :o 

Yep, that was me, and as usual got the evil stare from 10,000 miles away for the effort. I haven't looked at that guide in ages but I think I still don't know what all the buttons are supposed to be, and I still haven't seen an official buttons guide from RE yet.

and performance monitors (module temp-voltage-current)/throttle on same page.

That information is just one button press away on the control locomotive screen so I'm unsure if your just unaware that you can access it or if your wanting it on the same screen as as the main controlling screen. Given the way that info is presented I don't think you could fit all that on the controlling screen. If the controller was able to report those monitors in numbers and not graphs then it could be possible, but at the expense of what on the controlling screen? There is only an finite amount of space available.

- Tim

It would be helpful to see the throttle value and performance values on one screen. Kind of like in the cab of a 1:1 loco. Maybe an amp meter linked to the dynamics/notching, too? We already have the fuel gauge (battery indicator). The mind reels...

fianet

• Fireman
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 07:52:49 PM »
As to the too much white and GMM6809's black background with 2px outline option, why not take the iphone approach and have light and dark with option of light until sunset!  Both have a use depending on the light you are using it in.  ::) 8)