Author Topic: Braking sound effect and prime mover selection  (Read 2796 times)

KiloWhiskey

• Engineer
  • Kevin W.
Braking sound effect and prime mover selection
« on: October 02, 2020, 07:46:21 PM »
I was trying out prime mover sounds and when I uploaded EMD 567, the brake squeal doesn't seem to play like with the other files. Is this normal or did I manage to mess up somthing  (again).
I started with the default sound and it worked, changed it to one for the -9, and the squeal was heard when brakes was pressed. EMD 567 is still installed. Wanted some input before I started making more changes.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 09:34:24 PM by KiloWhiskey »
Kevin

In my defense, I was left unsupervised....

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Braking sound effect and prime mover selection
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 10:43:41 AM »
Check to make sure you have compressor sounds turned on.  The brake squeal is packaged in with those sounds.

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 02:46:47 PM »
Also make sure you are using the 567-ULT file if you want brake squeal. The other 567 file is the original sound file and it doesn't have brake squeal.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

MichaelK

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 04:53:05 PM »
OK, I recently received my RailPro (installed in a G-scale USA Trains GP9) and I'm having the same issue as KiloWhiskey. Everything is working correctly except for the Brake function. Per the Ring User Manual, I tried all of the following with negative results:

"To use our True Motion Technology, you need to set up one of the User Defined Buttons as a Brake Button. Choose the "Brake" picture. Set the button to "Type Action". Select "Brake" in the "Name" field. Choose "Button Action" to "Momentary". Press the "Edit Button Text" and type "Brake"."

"Tip: You must set the speed to 0.0% before operating the Brake button".

"Tip: The longer you hold the brake button down, the more the brakes are applied. Release the Brake button to release the brakes". (While holding the button down, to the right I see red numbers displayed that ascend from 11% to 100%).

"Auto Compressor Sounds" is enabled.

"Engine Name" is "EMD 567-16 ULT".

Thanks in advance for more suggestions!

-Mike

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 05:08:10 PM »
On mine, the squeal is only at the very end of the movement, just before the loco stops. Do you get any squeal at any times?
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

KiloWhiskey

• Engineer
  • Kevin W.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 05:33:11 PM »
With the default prime.over sound and the one for the dash 9, sound everytime until the emd567 was uploaded...
Kevin

MichaelK

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 06:03:13 PM »
No squeal. "Dynamic Brake", "Set Brake", and "Release Brake" all work fine.

Like I say, when I hold down the Brake button, I see % increments in red flash on the screen just to the right of the loco picture.

MichaelK

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 10:39:45 PM »
OK, after messing with it for awhile, I finally got it to work. It's all about timing. CPRail was right - just before the loco comes to a complete stop (at 5% for me), I pressed the button and the brake sound is heard. The engine sound is winding down and you can clearly hear it. Thanks for the help!

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 10:42:50 PM »
Note that you have to be holding the brake button for the sound to play.  If you release the button before the locomotive has stopped the squeal will not play, even though there may still be some percentage of brakes remaining.  It simulates a complete brake engagement.  Letting off the brakes a bit before a stop is a softer stop and the brakes typically won't squeal on the prototype.

KiloWhiskey

• Engineer
  • Kevin W.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 11:21:17 PM »
I will make sure I have the proper prime mover file, I may have downloaded the old one. Thanks for all the help.
Kevin

MichaelK

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 12:43:53 AM »
Note that you have to be holding the brake button for the sound to play.  If you release the button before the locomotive has stopped the squeal will not play, even though there may still be some percentage of brakes remaining.  It simulates a complete brake engagement.  Letting off the brakes a bit before a stop is a softer stop and the brakes typically won't squeal on the prototype.

Thanks. I kept trying the Ring Eng. Tip: "You must set the speed to 0.0% before operating the Brake button." Well, nothing happens at 0.0% - the Brake button has to be pressed before the engine comes to a stop! Or maybe I'm missing something(?)

ronp

• Fireman
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 03:40:49 PM »
I believe they are referring to the controller throttle position, not the locomotive speed.  The brake effect is most noticeable at slower deacceleration and higher load settings where the throttle is set to zero but the loco continues.

KiloWhiskey

• Engineer
  • Kevin W.
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 12:31:25 AM »
So I swapped 567 filesfor the one with ULT, and now it works great again. What does the ULT stand for?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Kevin
Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 05:38:25 AM »
ULT is "Ultimate" it's a much higher quality sound file with more features and detail.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 06:02:08 PM »
Yes, I too thought Ring's brake instructions confusing. Particularly on a small layout, there isn't much room for momentum, the brake should work at any throttle setting.