Author Topic: Not very much going on here?  (Read 8269 times)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
Not very much going on here?
« on: October 16, 2020, 05:50:31 PM »
I kind of thought there might be a growing interest in RailPro considering the situation we all have with the nasty virus and those who might be building their empire with spare time. Maybe it is just kind of quiet right now?   Cheers  ### The old Fardt in Arid-Zona

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Not very much going on here?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 06:52:26 PM »
Maybe not on the forum but there is good action on my railroad. Stringing wire, oh what fun.

DSC_3046.jpg
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 11:20:58 PM »
Well we have picked up several new members (some new to RP as well) over last few of months, many of them large scalers which is interesting. RP seems to be finding a good market there.

However I imagine many, like me, have been badly hit (financially and mentally) by the economic effects of the virus and simply don't have the same level of income or a mind free enough from worry about their future to engage themselves in the hobby.

Anyway, going on previous trends it's still only autumn over there and traditionally winter is the most active time of the forum, thought that is becoming less and less the trend as time goes on.

- Tim

trainman605

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 08:04:10 AM »
 I have collected mostly LGB and USA Trains over the past 25 years (all US, no foreign RR stuff) and have now decided to build a G scale layout in my shop. I'm a modeler at heart with my HOn3 layout and now looking forward to doing something different. I have re-done about 25 rolling stock G scale cars and have now started on the engines, these are completely re-dues with addons and detail parts, including repainting and lettering some to my own RR the Ft. Worth & South-Western. I'm not a rivet counter when it comes to G scale, but like my stuff to look better then when it comes out of the box. All being said, I have decided to go with RailPro and bypass all the wiring (dead rail is what I want), plus I could run on other layouts and not be concerned with what system they use. I'm purchasing my RailPro from Don Sweet at RCS of New England, what a great guy to deal with, if you want to know about RailPro, he's the guy. My layout will be pretty much a shelf line and will follow the inter city railroad of the 30's and 40's time period in Ft. Worth, Texas with the stockyards being the main theme. 

trainman

mcbunton

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 02:08:44 PM »
Don Sweet is the man!  Bought two locos from him and he installed the Rail Pro system, ran it the first time last weekend right out of the box and I was up and running on my layout that I have been dreaming and collecting for since we built our home 21 years ago.  It was such a great time, I have laid 250 feet of track out to check my dimensions, waiting on a couple more turnouts and I will start laying the road bed. 

guess I am the opposite of most here, though.  I am not OCD about modeling and accuracy, I want to have fun and enjoy.  I can add too and increase the realism as time goes by. 

I took a video of my first run but can't get it off the phone.

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 04:20:06 PM »
 I have added about 45 feet of additional trackwork, still got plenty to do. I am waiting on two loco shells to be returned by  one of our members who graciously volunteered to paint and decal them for me.
 I have seen his work and it is outstanding. I aporeciate him more than words can express. Thank you, Jacob.
Cecil
Cecil
ATSF

trainman605

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 10:19:32 AM »
Don Sweet is the man!  Bought two locos from him and he installed the Rail Pro system, ran it the first time last weekend right out of the box and I was up and running on my layout that I have been dreaming and collecting for since we built our home 21 years ago.  It was such a great time, I have laid 250 feet of track out to check my dimensions, waiting on a couple more turnouts and I will start laying the road bed. 

guess I am the opposite of most here, though.  I am not OCD about modeling and accuracy, I want to have fun and enjoy.  I can add too and increase the realism as time goes by. 

I took a video of my first run but can't get it off the phone.

I like my G Scale trains to have that scale look they have in model RC aircraft, "Stand Off Scale", which is a scale that looks like the real thing, but usually there wings and other parts of the aircraft are designed more for flying which a scale RC scale plane would not fly as well. All being said, if I can stand back 6-10 feet and it looks good to me, I've accomplished what I wanted my trains to look like. Plus modeling is a hobby to me as well as just running trains, we all do what works for us, so as long as you are doing something with trains and it works for you, you should have the enjoyment you need for the hobby.

trainman

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 05:59:48 PM »
I've been so busy with other projects that I haven't done much with trains in a few months.  However, I did finally sit back down and got a few things done.  Squeezed a PBM-2 into an Athearn Genesis SD70ACe (lots of plastic surgery), and cleaned/tested all my other locomotives.  Updated a few modules that I somehow missed, and made/tested a few sounds.  Still haven't been able to get a smooth loop on my own horn recordings. 

-Kevin

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 01:43:54 AM »
It's been about a year since I worked much on RP.  Spent last winter collecting and building an S gauge American Flyer layout, as my first train was AF in the early 60s.  Just began working on HO again with three LM3S installs.  Since COVID hit, our club has not met and that is where I generally operate.  This winter could be the time to construct a home layout, running back and forth on the test track is getting old!