Author Topic: Using LM-3-G to control Sierra sound triggers?  (Read 1699 times)

rmower

• Fireman
Using LM-3-G to control Sierra sound triggers?
« on: December 14, 2020, 12:13:35 PM »
I am installing a LM-3-G to replace an existing Aristo 27 Mhz unit in a a railbus.
I would like to keep the sierra soundcard I have in this unit as Railpro does not have appropriate sound files for this type of unit
Is there a way to use the outputs from the LM-3 to trigger the sounds on the sierra card?
I see there is an "action" setting that would seem to indicate it is for a switch, but what is the common for that connection?

JRad

• Conductor
Re: Using LM-3-G to control Sierra sound triggers?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 09:07:58 PM »
I don't know anything about the Sierra cards as I used Phoenix. On Phoenix, the sound triggers just needed a ground to activate. Railpro LM lighting outputs are a switched ground. SO, if Sierra works the same as Pheonix, you would use a Light, not an action. Actions are built-in functions like Load and Brake.

You may want to include a diode in the line just to protect the LM from any stray voltages on the trigger input.

trainman605

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 11:12:22 AM »
You could call Don Sweet at RCS of New England and talk with him, he my dealer and I get my RailPro stuff from him, he also does installs, he should know.

trainman

rmower

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 10:27:44 AM »
Thanks for the info, I hooked it up as suggested and the triggers do work with a ground signal like the Phoenix ones do