Author Topic: speakers  (Read 1942 times)

nortoneye

• Engineer
speakers
« on: November 04, 2020, 02:15:43 PM »
Installing on an Athearn blue box-looking for a speaker suggestion.  I have used iphone 4s from PDC in Canada, I don't see them available on their website now.  I need something 8mm wide maximum.  Is there another source for the iphone?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the advice

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Re: speakers
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 03:40:13 PM »
As I've switched over to Scale Sound Systems speakers, I've got 4 virginal ones that I'm not using. I also have some modified (i.e. shortened) that I have to get some time to change out if you are interested.

Contact me off list and we can talk.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 06:30:47 PM »
Ian,

I am interested in your stash-not sure how to PM you.  Please contact me at nortoneye@gmail.com

Jim

DaveB

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 03:19:08 PM »
I used I-Phone 8 speakers in the last 4 we did.  You have to cut the metal screw holders off and sand a little off the one side [you will see what I mean if you get some] and that makes them the same width as a module and about 3mm thick.  They sound better than the I-phone 4 speakers I have used.  There are probably better sounding speakers out there. I think Kevin is experimenting with some.  All depends on what you want.

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 09:12:51 AM »
thanks, I'll try some and compare

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 10:27:22 AM »
Dave B, how did you attach wires to I phone 8 speakers?  Looks like there was a plug of some sort used in the I phone. 

DaveB

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 08:07:32 AM »
I cut off the corners and solder the brown wire to the tabs just like other speakers
IMG_0733.jpg

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »
thanks for the input and photos-I realized that I had not looked at the speakers closely (duh)   I have one installed-maybe slightly better than the I phone 4...They are more compact tho which I like