Author Topic: RP Assistant: How to navigate to drives other than "C"?  (Read 1322 times)

Espeelark

• Fireman
RP Assistant: How to navigate to drives other than "C"?
« on: January 16, 2021, 12:51:47 PM »
Howdy!
Just got my RPK-1 Starter Kit yesterday and am now trying to upload loco BMP's from my desktop. When attempting to do so, RP Assistant defaults to the "C" drive of my PC. I've got a partitioned hard drive and have most of my files stored out on the "D" drive. See attached. RP Assistant doesn't appear to let me search/navigate anything other than the "C" drive. Am I missing something simple here or is that just the way it is?
I can always create a temporary folder on the "C" drive for this purpose but that's non value-added work...
Thanks!
Espeelark (Paul Mac)
Modeling the SP in Ohio
"Bad is never good until worse happens...."

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Re: RP Assistant: How to navigate to drives other than "C"?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 03:25:05 PM »
I too am wondering the same thing. My sound files are stored on E:, but I currently have to copy them to C: to load them.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 04:51:53 PM »
I have a folder on C called Railpro that I use for this. It's a bit of a PITA, but it works.

You could make a sim link for your folder on C and on your other drive and when you drop files in one they will be in both places.
Look up the link command for full details.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 07:35:54 PM »
Am I missing something simple here or is that just the way it is?

No, you are correct, RPA simply can not use any drive other than C.  It is a huge pita. A patch could probably be made to make it use other drives but Bill's Symlinking suggestion is probably the easiest way to deal with it if you don't want to put stuff on the C drive.

Also, another trap,  RPA can not see more than 82 folders and not more than 52 files in a folder so if your folder count where RPA is looking in is more than 82 every folder after the 82nd (alphabetically) will not be listed in RPA nor available to it. Same with the files.

- Tim