Author Topic: HC screen display  (Read 2510 times)

Boomer68

• Fireman
HC screen display
« on: November 28, 2020, 11:36:08 PM »
My HC worked great today on the club layout.  I left there and picked up something in my SUV.  The HC was between the rear seat and the folded down seat back and was turned off.  When I took it out (pretty cold) the display was mostly a white screen with some squiggles off black.  I tried to charge it thinking this was the problem and I don’t think it was charging.  I tried to reset it and no change.  Any ideas?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: HC screen display
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 04:45:37 AM »
How cold is cold? Like left it in the snow cold? Also, when you took it out of the vehicle was the screen already on or did you turn it on to notice the display was funny?

Firstly I'd let it warm to room temperature. If it was too cold I guess a connector inside may not have been making good contact. Wild guess that one though.

I thought we had a thread here on that problem before but the only one I can find is not quite the same but very similar. https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,1071.msg8256.html. Once the HC is warmed up if it's still got a funny screen you could try the fix in that thread. It might work. If it's suffered a knock while you were driving it may need to go back to RE for repairs.

- Tim

Boomer68

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 08:57:07 AM »
And you.  I will refer to that post and try it and let you know.  No snow, about 40 to 45 degrees for about two and a half hours.  The HC was off when I left it and it was on with the screwy screen when I retrieved it from the car.

Boomer68

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 09:11:22 AM »
I tried the suggestion in the post referred to and it did not work.  I guess I’ll have to contact Ring Monday morning.  I need it at 1:00 PM Monday to run on the club module layout (which is DCC) at a local shopping mall for Christmas event.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 05:08:42 PM »
If you haven't already contacted Ring, turn it on and let the battery die. Then charge it up and try it again. No guarantees, but worth a shot.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

trainman605

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 06:47:43 AM »
I just got my new RailPro system on Sunday 11-29-2020, when I first turned on the HC-2 it did light up with the different control buttons being black/gray/white and all zig-zag looking. I turned it off and back on a it lit correctly, it did happen one more time and I saw that the battery was at about 1/4 charge,  re-charged and so far so good. I would be nice to know if others have had this problem.

trainman

Mr. E

• Fireman
  • My Cool Trains!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 07:43:32 AM »
A few days ago when I got my HC-2.  I turned it on and it was fine but really bright.  I am glad I didn’t get the sun version.  I lowered the brightness to 42%.  The battery was at 1/4 like trainman605’s device.  I plugged it in and set a timer for four hours because the manual said not to charge for more then that.  Nothing changed on the screen, so I left in for a while.  About half an hour later I came back and checked and the charging screen was active.  So, I was glad to know it was charging.  But after four hours it was at only about 90%.  I thought from starting at 25% it would be fully charged.  I decided to unplug it.  I was thinking that the four hour limit might be to heating issues.  It will do another charge after I use it for a little while.
- Eli
Railpro on Dead Rail on Modular Layout.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 08:14:02 AM »
From the HC manual:

IMPORTANT: Always charge your batteries when you are finished using your HC if the
battery charge indicator is red. Further, charge your HC at least once a month even if
you do not use it. If you allow the batteries to discharge to a very low level, it may take
several hours for the display to light up and show that your HC is charging.

This would also apply to a new HC with little to no charge.
Al

Mr. E

• Fireman
  • My Cool Trains!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 05:24:36 AM »
Thanks nodcc4me.  I did not see that note yet.
- Eli
Railpro on Dead Rail on Modular Layout.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 06:19:37 PM »
Here is another tip. When getting ready to charge an HC, make sure it is powered off. Plug the power brick in first, then plug the USB connector into the HC. The screen should come on within one second and show that is charging. This is contrary to most charging devices, but I believe it is also stated somewhere in the manual.
Al