Author Topic: Can Locomotive Modules be cloned?  (Read 2276 times)

JRad

• Conductor
Can Locomotive Modules be cloned?
« on: December 03, 2020, 11:03:33 PM »
I've searched the site and didn't find this discussed, so I'll ask.  I've just finished tweaking the set up for a Fn3 steam locomotive.  I have a second identical locomotive that will get RailPro soon.  Is it possible to copy the entire set-up of an LM from one to another (clone the LM) ?

If not, that would be a great feature to add. I'm sure lots of folks have multiple locos of the same type. cloning would make adding a locomotive super fast and easy.

I would even use a cloned LM as a starting point for other locomotives.  I know LM's come pre-loaded with a basic diesel set-up. Unfortunately, I am mostly steam, so everything needs to change from the default.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Can Locomotive Modules be cloned?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 12:47:20 AM »
No, they can not be cloned (or settings backed up unfortunately). It could be done if RE wanted to do it, basic settings anyway; you wouldn't clone the module piece for piece (picture, name, serial number and motor current setting for example) else you'll end up with confused hardware and operator.

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 04:57:33 AM »
Some of us have asked Ring for this feature. By all means, please contact Ring and suggest it, the more that ask for it, the more likely it is to happen.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

JRad

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 07:09:30 PM »
Thanks guys.  Another thing to put on my Ask Ring list.  Starting my second loco install tonight.

trainman605

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 09:05:30 AM »
Like I said in a previous post today, Ring Eng. (RailPro) is a small company, I'm told 5-6 people. This is a very small company and pretty much an inhouse operation as it could be called under todays standards. so from what my dealer has told me that RailPro is pretty much a diesels orientated company and the cost to have rail sounds recorded professionally is very expensive, all this being said, don't look at this time to get more steam sounds offered by RailPro. We all understand the cost of doing business and with the state of the virus being totally out of control at this time, many small companies are just happy to still being in business. This is not saying that RailPro is not doing well for a small company, it's just saying that we are doing all we can to keep up with what we are manufacturing and selling today, not a bad place to be. I think RailPro is a very good product and I think its future is good, let's all hope so. I wouldn't give up on RailPro steam sounds, I would keep asking for them, let them know what you and others want.

trainman

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 10:24:09 AM »
I was discussing another issue with Tim Ring earlier this week and since I have steam and diesel I asked him about steam sounds.  He did mention that a heavy steam ULT file will soon be out.

JRad

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 03:36:30 PM »
That's great to hear.  The regular Steam Heavy sounds pretty good, I can't wait to hear what the ULT version sounds like. We just need that chuff trigger!