Author Topic: I (probably) killed an LM-1--but now back from the dead  (Read 1269 times)

faithie999

• Conductor
I (probably) killed an LM-1--but now back from the dead
« on: January 07, 2021, 07:41:43 AM »
yesterday I wanted to experiment with an LM-1.  it was still on the shelf and I didn't install it in a loco.

I use a computer "brick"-type power supply.  it is regulated, and labeled as 15v/5a.

I plugged it in and checked the open-circuit voltage.  it was 15.2v.

I connected the LM-1 track leads to the power supply, and on my HC-2b the LM-1 was found.  however, the "Please Wait" message remained.  in my experience, that message disappears after just a couple of seconds.  in this case the message never disappeared and I couldn't leave the Find Product page.  so I disconnected the LM-1 from power and turned off the HC.  I connected the LM-1 to power again, and turned on the HC.  then, the LM-1 could not be found.  as a double-check, I was able to find an LM-3s.

I contacted Ring, and I will be sending it to them for troubleshooting.

so I'm wondering what I did wrong and why the "Please Wait" message didn't go away.   it's possible that the LM-1 was bad to start with, and even though it was "found" it was faulty.

thanks in advance

ken

UPDATE:  before packaging it up to mail, I decided to try the LM-1 once more.  after a good night's sleep, it has revived itself.  I guess I have elves in my workshop that fixed it overnight.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 11:34:23 AM by faithie999 »

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: I (probably) killed an LM-1--but now back from the dead
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 10:06:02 AM »
I guess I have elves in my workshop that fixed it overnight.

Please make those elves available to anyone who needs them  ;). I can't really think of any reason why the hiccup with the please wait screen  would have happened, except that communication between the LM and the HC stopped/was lost for some reason during the detection. Why the LM was not detectable after resetting the LM and HC is also strange but it's good that it has sorted itself out.

Presuming your still going to go down this road at some stage, Meanwell is a good choice for a power supply for the layout, they are a good brand and many models come with built in short, over voltage and over current protection. Be sure to check the spec sheets for the model you think you'll get to make sure of it's features.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 10:12:16 AM »
May have been a intermittent less-than-good connection between LM and power (plug, wires, connections, etc.).
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 01:55:42 PM »
Tim--I'd be glad to hire out the elves but travel costs to Australia would be prohibitive!

Alan recommended a 10A MeanWell power supply that I am about to purchase.

ken