Author Topic: DC Voltage & Microamperes Panel Meters  (Read 1130 times)

Coupe633

• Fireman
DC Voltage & Microamperes Panel Meters
« on: February 11, 2021, 11:27:56 AM »
I have been designing my RailPro layout with several mainlines and several PWR56 Power supplies. Has anyone built their layouts with Panel Meters to monitor the DC Voltage and the Amps on a track powered by the PWR56? I would like to use similar panel meters like these, how would you hook them up?

Microamperers.jpgDC Volts.png
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:29:32 AM by Coupe633 »

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: DC Voltage & Microamperes Panel Meters
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 11:46:51 AM »

Your voltmeter can simply be connected to the PWR-56 output or the track somewhere.

For the ammeter, you want one that measures in amps, not microamps, with a range up to 5 amps. Ammeters require a shunt. A shunt is a high power, very low resistance, high precision, wirewound resistor. This may be built into the meter or it may not. Most likely not. The shunt is placed in series between the + output of a PWR-56 and the track. The ammeter is then placed across the shunt leads. Meters often indicate on the backside the shunt resistance to use. No two meters are the same as the shunt resistance is a function of the coil resistance inside the meter.

Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Coupe633

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 04:30:31 PM »
Thank you Alan for the info. Not being an electrical engineer, I understand very little about electronics other than + & - but I think it will be beneficial to be able to monitor both voltage and amps on the track.

Carter

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 03:20:26 AM »
Hi, just a little comment.

An amp meter is really a volt meter and reads the voltage drop across the shunt see the diagram schematic.

digital would be easier to read the voltage and amps than analogue units.