Author Topic: Turnout control question  (Read 4861 times)

mcbunton

• Fireman
Turnout control question
« on: February 14, 2021, 01:42:45 PM »
quick thought/question on turnouts, I have my outdoor track laid and am loving watching the train run while working on it, still have quite a ways to go because I have no automated turnouts yet and other stuff.  I understand the comments about having to switch screens to control turnouts, but I find one thing about railpro is I can "wander" my layout and have the control with me, wouldn't that be an advantage then to have my turnout controls "wandering" around the layout with me as well, rather than having to be at one point to control them?

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Turnout control question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 01:45:51 PM »
quick thought/question on turnouts, I have my outdoor track laid and am loving watching the train run while working on it, still have quite a ways to go because I have no automated turnouts yet and other stuff.  I understand the comments about having to switch screens to control turnouts, but I find one thing about railpro is I can "wander" my layout and have the control with me, wouldn't that be an advantage then to have my turnout controls "wandering" around the layout with me as well, rather than having to be at one point to control them?

Sure. The problem creeps in when you have many switches.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 01:59:29 PM »
That problem is exacerbated by the inherent latency in the controller's screen changing time. A more instantaneous screen change would make switching easier, but I do like the idea of handheld switching as I walk around the layout.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Shadowbruf

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 03:46:29 PM »
excellent point - thx