Author Topic: Tortoise Turnout machines  (Read 4791 times)

faithie999

• Conductor
Tortoise Turnout machines
« on: February 11, 2021, 05:23:00 PM »
I had never bought a Tortoise machine because of the high price (I'm painfully cheap).  however, I found that ModelTrainStuff.com has 12-packs for about $170.  they often have a 10% off coupon code that covered a little more than the shipping.  I installed the first 2 today and they work great.  I'm glad I bought them.

ken

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Tortoise Turnout machines
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 06:42:58 PM »
Years ago I got insanely lucky. Hobby shop going out of business sold me 72 Tortoises at $9 each. It was their entire inventory of them.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 12:36:29 AM »
Last year one of our club member and myself were checking out the many boxes under the club layout. I found about 10 or so of them with attached hardware/brackets.  Our club had no need for them so I am the proud owner now.  I never got around of using any of them but I might find a use someday? I actually like old twin coil switch motors on the top of my layout. Just too old to get under the layout !!!!! Oh the pain just thinking about going under..  :-\  TOF in Yuma

trainman605

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 07:35:45 AM »
I have 20 of them on my HOn3 layout, all work great and no problems to date. I did have to use some of the Tortoise mounting brackets where I could not mount the switch machine directly under the turnout, they do come with the mounting bracket for the machine and a special bracket that mounts under the turnout for operation of the turnout. I did use model airplane servo tubes to run the cables in to a remote location, works great, just takes a little adjusting to get the cable centered to the turnout and the switch machine. Personally I don't care for the snap type of switch machine, too hard on the turnouts, especially the more delicate ones used in my HOn3 layout.

trainman