Author Topic: Can’t connect to Ring Servers  (Read 7881 times)

KB02

• Engineer
Re: Can’t connect to Ring Servers
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2022, 05:53:03 AM »
The trouble was with the modem itself. The connection is much poorer that our ISP thinks it is (Old line coming into the house is my theory).

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2022, 06:58:49 AM »
I was thinking about exactly this today while waiting to see if anyone replied to my question about this on another forum, which unfortunately no one has.

I don't think the quality of your ISP's connection has much bearing on this, a bad connection would show up in other ways and would be the same on wired as it is with wireless. As it apparently doesn't happen when you plug an ethernet cable in between your PC and router and use that instead of wireless this puts the problem down to between the wireless NIC in your PC and the wireless Access Point in your router.

If we take the strange MAC addresses in the packet capture as the PC's wireless NIC and the routers AP using MAC randomisation this puts the problem squarely on the router as the culprit of changing the the destination IP address. I suspect that due to the amount of wireless traffic coming from your PC (remember, each individual packet from your PC is being sent at least 4 times instead of just once) that it's somehow stuffing up the routing table in the router.

Anyway, your post seems to indicate that the problem is solved, so what did you do and is it still happening?

- Tim

KB02

• Engineer
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2022, 06:02:05 AM »
Sorry, my post was in reference to your previous question about the previous problems I had with my connection. You seemed to think it was with the wireless adapter and I was trying to clarify that it was the modem/router unit.

As for my problems connecting RailPro Asst. on this machine, it is still going on. I just got a couple new modules from Bill and have been using the old laptop t get them set up.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2022, 06:58:42 AM »
Ahh, understood. Your reply makes sense now. I don't know what I was thinking  ::)

Anyway, I've still not heard anything back on that other forum I asked on, time to try a more technical form I think.

In the meantime, I've overcome my slackness and readied the experiment for you. Details in a PM.

- Tim

KB02

• Engineer
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2022, 06:31:56 AM »
I actually got the program to connect the other day! For a short period anyway. I was uploading some custom photos to my HC and so it was connected. Then I clicked the Sounds Button and the first menu came up! I was shocked! Then I clicked the Diesel Horns button and back to no connection. Weird.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2022, 02:35:28 PM »
Have you talked to Ring Engineering about this? They may have some insight we don't.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.