Author Topic: Need advice I might be going back to DCC ( poor 567 sounds files)  (Read 2061 times)

Pizzapizza

• Fireman
Ok friends I’m in a dilemma I’m invested quite a lot in RP and love everything about it BUT both there 567 prime mover sound files in my opinion just don’t do it for me unlike Lok sound’s 567. There is just not enough generator whine! My questing is should I go back to DCC with Lok sounds ( the best on the market) or go back to DCC only for 1st generation diesels and just use RP throttle for everything else, because not only do hate both 567 sound files I’m having a hard time installing the module, keep alive and speakers in smaller 1st generation diesels! Need help please
John

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Need advice I might be going back to DCC ( poor 567 sounds files)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 09:58:57 PM »
Yep, know that feeling.

Perhaps my best advise is to pose a question; what is it about sound that does something for you over what the rest of what RP offers?

I long ago came to the realisation that RP's sound would always be second fiddle to LokSound and SoundTraxx because they keep putting in the development effort and, as far as I know they don't just expect people to give them something (recorded sounds) to generate profit from for nothing. That said while I'm not heavily invested in RP I don't think I could be honest with myself and go back to DCC as it is today, and that has been sorely tested over the last few years but I'm still with RP.

Back to your dilemma, I don't know what speakers your using but quality speakers can do wonders, what's provided with many models ex factory are just junk and the sound chamber for it also junk. If your using what come's with the models you may like to get a quality unit from someone like Scale Sound Systems and test with it. Other than that there is nothing wrong with having DCC Loco's and RP Loco's, I believe that this is quite normal.

- Tim

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 10:00:48 AM »
I know it's not 100% accurate, but the Roots 645 ULT has that generator whine.

I'm using it in a Rapido SW1200RS (with the factory speaker) as the 567 ULT is too "stacky" for me and the old 567 doesn't notch the way I want for a switcher.

I am using the old 567 file in a Genesis GP9 with a Scale Sound Speaker. I've spooled up the Load setting quite a lot, so there is a ton of momentum, which helps on the notching. The speaker makes a big difference, and you get the whine.

YMMV.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

Tom

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 07:24:07 PM »
This is interesting.  Ring has two 645 ULT sound files neither of which is identified as Root.  Which 645 ULT is the Root which is most near the 567?  I am interested in the 50’s GPs and do not particularly care for the 567 or the 567 ULT, but I do not profess to remember what they actually sounded like back then.

Beyond that, Ring does have both the 567 and the 567 ULT and a couple other duplications.  I would like the old heavy steam, but it is not available.  When I asked about making it available I received a snotty reply something to the effect of “the Heavy Steam ULT is so great, how could you possibly want to use the old file.”  I did not bother to reply.

Pizzapizza

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 08:16:29 PM »
The 645 ultra sounds good but it sounds nothing like a 567, I actually think the old file has more whine than the ultra 567 which was recorded from the top of the loco yeah I don’t understand that one, so I’m either going to suffer and put up with it or add DCC just for the 1st generation diesels 😪 I just wish DCC was Easier to speed match and consist I would have never bought RP I’m keeping my eye on the new tcs system that is about to come out sadly

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 07:56:22 AM »
The Roots 645 ULT probably says Blower or something like that. I'm at work right now and can't check.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 11:05:14 PM »
EMD 645 Blower ULT.  This one is a good recording of a typical 645 Roots.  Those do have the whine when coming down a notch, which the file captures rather well.

The 567 ULT was recorded from the top of a locomotive, so the exhaust noise is prominent.  I'd love to have a second 567 ULT recorded from the side to pick up more whine.  But the current 567 is accurate depending on where you are listening to the sound from.  See this video.....all three of these locomotives run 567's, and they are rolling in notch 8 uphill.  The Columbia Basin Railroad is awesome.

-Kevin

Gibs

• Engineer
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 08:05:01 PM »
Here is another one for you.

And another, this chap has heaps of top notch recordings

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:55:41 PM by Gibs »
Cya Down The Line.