Author Topic: Help needed re: Copying Files to Locos  (Read 2613 times)

MtRR75

• Conductor
Help needed re: Copying Files to Locos
« on: April 04, 2021, 10:35:18 PM »
The directions for copying sound files to the LMs seem to want me to copy the files from my laptop to my HC-2, then to my loco.

(1) Can I copy files that are already in my HC-2 directly from the HC-2 to the loco -- without using a computer?

(2) Even better, can I copy sound files from one loco directly to another loco?

(3) I know how to find the REV edition numbers on the HC-2 and LM software.  But where do I find out what the newest versions are?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Help needed re: Copying Files to Locos
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 10:48:16 PM »
(1) Yes, once the sounds files are loaded onto the HC you can copy them to any LM without having to download them again through RPA.

(2) No, this is not possible.

(3) Fire up RPA and look at the Product Programs section. The latest HC and LM software is there.

If you have not seen this guide I did several years ago have a look. I forget what's in it it's been that long since I've looked at it but you might get something from it.

- Tim

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 03:48:34 PM »
New Problem, but title of thread is still appropriate.

I am trying to load the ULT Heavy Steam file to my LM-3S (located inside my beautiful 2-6-6-2).  I downloaded the file to the HC-2.  No problems indicated, but it took 45 minutes.

Then I tried to copy the file from the HC-2 to the LM-3S (running software ver. 2.30).  The progress bar moved along steadily.  When it was almost to the end, the screen cleared and displayed just this message:  "Can Not Connect".  The HC and the loco tender were less than a foot apart.  The loco has run steadily and reliably on the old Heavy Steam file.

Any ideas what happened -- or how to fix it?

Doug

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 05:15:53 PM »
If the blue dot on the controller turned red there could have been a brief power interruption. The Heavy Steam ULT is a large file. Delete the older Heavy Steam file and try copying the new one again, as this could also have been just a glitch.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 05:17:51 PM by nodcc4me »
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Tom

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 08:26:01 PM »
I had both the same and similar problems loading the Heavy Steam ULT.  After about 5 time consuming tries I got it loaded.  There were several different error messages along the way, one of which I do not remember filled the entire HC-2 screen with verbiage.

To the point: Ring does not have the old Heavy Steam on the RailPro Assistant.  If someone still has it, would it be possible to copy it, post on this web site a, download to computer and then load from there to HC-2 – legally as well as technically?  If so, any volunteers?

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 07:04:30 AM »
I have all the steam sound files, but have no idea how to extract them from RPA other than copying them to the HC.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 07:16:37 AM »
If somebody has the file in RPA, it is possible to use my HC Simulator Switcher to load the sound files into a blank Simulator file and send the Simulator file to the other user. The new user can then use the Simulator switcher to load the files on LM's

INFO on the Simulator Switcher: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,1096.0.html
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 07:17:21 AM »
Also you could call Ring and ask them to put the old heavy steam file back on the server.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 10:30:30 AM »
Then I tried to copy the file from the HC-2 to the LM-3S (running software ver. 2.30).  The progress bar moved along steadily.  When it was almost to the end, the screen cleared and displayed just this message:  "Can Not Connect".  The HC and the loco tender were less than a foot apart.  The loco has run steadily and reliably on the old Heavy Steam file.

Any ideas what happened -- or how to fix it?

Generally that message would means that the LM had lost power hence the HC-2 couldn't see it anymore. Just speculation as I've not seen what error messages are thrown for these two scenarios but it could possibly be that the HC crossed the threshold on where it decides it doesn't have enough battery left to copy files, or that the LM wasn't sending replies back to the HC at that stage of the copy. I can only suggest to try again and make sure the batteries are fully charged.

We all know that there is a "too far away" and the rule is "less than two feet" for copying but I wonder if there's also a "too close" distance that can cause problems? I know with some radio equipment at work there is a too close distance where communication doesn't work properly.

If somebody has the file in RPA, it is possible to use my HC Simulator Switcher to load the sound files into a blank Simulator file and send the Simulator file to the other user....

Just a note on that for those that aren't aware, the storage file is 131 Megabytes in size. Even compressed at the highest compression level in something like 7zip your looking around 20 megabytes so it's too big to email, you'd need to use a file sharing service like DropBox or similar to share the storage file.

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 11:16:15 AM »
Just a note on that for those that aren't aware, the storage file is 131 Megabytes in size.

You are talking about the RPA storage file at 131mb.

The storage files for HC Sims are 32MB
They are reasonably portable.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 12:15:34 PM »
You are talking about the RPA storage file at 131mb.

The storage files for HC Sims are 32MB
They are reasonably portable.

That is true, HC Sim storage is only 32 megabytes and zipped would be significantly less depending on the compression level but I took that both Doug and Tom (and Al) don't own CI-1's as they all only mention the HC-2 which would mean Doug and Tom would either have to purchase CI-1's to use a shared HC Sim storage file or share the RPA storage file. I was thinking of the above when I was reading your reply and HC Sim Switcher somehow got substituted with RPA switcher in my mind which is why I quoted your line. Of course, you didn't make an RPA switcher :-[ .

- Tim

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 01:06:49 PM »
Delete the older Heavy Steam file and try copying the new one again, as this could also have been just a glitch.

I did this, and it worked  My problem is solved.

Thanks.