Author Topic: CTC on RP layout using DCC detectors  (Read 1282 times)

ON28

• Conductor
CTC on RP layout using DCC detectors
« on: April 23, 2021, 08:41:54 AM »
Asked elsewhere, can a CTC system be set up on a RailPro layout using DCC detectors? I know Lee Nicholas  has CTC that pre-dates his changeover to RP, so I"ll say yes. The experts here can better explain why.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: CTC on RP layout using DCC detectors
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 08:49:14 AM »
Yes, if and only if the layout is powered by a DCC system (not controlled by, just powered by).
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 05:00:12 PM »
Lee's railroad is powered by PWR-56's Contact Lee, he has this down pat. I understand he also just rebuilt his CTC machine.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 06:59:34 PM »
Please report back your findings. I have read elsewhere there are DCC detectors that "may" work with straight DC. If that is in fact what Lee is doing it would be valuable for the group to know which detectors they are.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Lee Nicholas

• Fireman
    • Utah Colorado Western
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 01:35:27 PM »

First of all I have never been a DCC user and as far as I know DCC detectors will not work on straight DC. As has been mentioned you could use DCC power and run Rail Pro and I assume use DCC detectors.
My CTC uses CMRI which offers both DCC and DC detector hardware and has been in use for over 20 years on the UCW. Prior to my conversion to RP I was using RailLynx (for 25 yrs) and IR direct line of site to loco. It is a great system but has it's limitations hence my conversion. It uses straight DC so was a no brainer to convert.

The only issue I had was RP's so called circuit breaker which was a combination CB/polarity reverser which I didn't want. After some intense discussion with Tim he built me some CB's without the reversing feature. Today he sales them as CB1 and they work great.

Hope this helps.
Lee Nicholas