Author Topic: Recommendations on installing LM-3S in steam loco  (Read 1345 times)

DJRCPR

• Fireman
  • Modelling CP and Via (modern) - western Canada
Recommendations on installing LM-3S in steam loco
« on: April 28, 2021, 02:53:07 PM »
Starting to place a LM-3S in a new Rapido Royal Hudson. I looked through the install logs and didn't see anything on steam...Outside of the usual stuff I have to deal with all the extra gear that Rapido places in the DCC units, any suggestions would be welcome. I do have a separate smoke unit to add, so one question which leads would this be connected to on the 3S ?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Recommendations on installing LM-3S in steam loco
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 11:07:48 AM »
There's a few steam modellers here but I can't recall any of them mentioning having done Rapido steam loco's.  I can't even find a photo of the interior with the circuit boards etc so can't help much there. For the smoke generator you'll need to find out how it turns on and off. With some luck it'll be just a switched ground (standard DCC and RP output). You will be able to connect it to any output on the LM you wish, it's just a matter of whether it's a simple direct hook up or whether you need to add some extra wizardry to make the output turn on/off the smoke generator.

- Tim