Author Topic: Greetings from Alberta  (Read 5302 times)

yvesmary

• Fireman
Greetings from Alberta
« on: November 15, 2015, 10:23:31 PM »
Hello,

I found this forum through a post on the Yahoo CanModelTrains site. I was happy to see it move from Yahoo as I find that site not very user friendly for a computer-challenged guy.

I'm glad to be on here. My layout is still a-building with an NCE DCC set-up so I haven't run many engines except to test my progress. Like many others when I found out how easy it is to consist with the RailPro system I was sold.

I've installed one module so far in a Kato AC440CW and like the way it runs. Never having used a cell phone in my life the touch screen is a learning process. I have half a dozen modules on hand and this new forum has giving me an incentive to do more installations.

I've got some questions which I'll save for later.

Yves
Ponoka, Alberta

hirailer

• Engineer
Re: Greetings from Alberta
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum Yves, we are happy you are here. Fire away with the questions, there is lots of members here that are more than happy to share what they know with you.

I suspect it was one of my posts on Yahoo Groups Canadian Model Trains that attracted you.

I spent a lot of my younger years about 50 miles from Ponoka, the last 25 years in Southwestern BC.

Cheers
Mel in BC
Having more fun with RailPro

SD90

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:40:55 PM »
Welcome to he forum! I'm in Calgary, and was hoping to get a look at the RailPro system in person, Ponoka is close!

yvesmary

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 09:32:27 PM »
Hi Mike,

I'm plugging away here installing my RailPro system after having got rid of DCC.

I've got 2 Rapido FP9's that I've installed RailPro sound modules in and test ran over some of my layout. I'm not hung up on sound but I really like what I hear. I don't know if it's the iPhone speakers I used but I think the horn is especially impressive compared to what I've heard on YouTube videos.

I'm far from an expert on the fine points of the RailPro system but if you'd like to come up and have a look I'm sure we could arrange something.

Cheers,
Yves in Ponoka

Terry

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 12:49:41 AM »
Yves,

Regarding the touch screen, here's a thought:

We use wooden skewers to uncouple cars at the layouts I operate on.  I have found they work on the HC-2 screen really well.  This is handy as I have one in hand as I work couplers and turnouts.  Just tap the screen, it seems much more stable than fingers or fingernails.

Terry

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 07:44:53 AM »
I also use my uncoupling skewer for the screen, but I don't use the sharp end, I sanded the other end to be round and smooth. It works fantastically.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 03:04:54 PM »
Count me in with the stick group. I use Starbucks's lid plugs. Uncouples cars well, keeps fingerprint smudges off my controller, fits in my pocket and, let's face it, when you regularly operate with a Venti Latte in your hand, they are quite fashionable. :P
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

yvesmary

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 09:04:32 PM »
I'm going to need a lot more practice before I get good at uncoupling with skewers.

I was planning on using Kadee between the rails magnetic uncouplers.

But I like the idea of using skewers to tap the screen on the controller.

Yves in Alberta

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 10:34:17 PM »
Some people try to use the skewer to pull the glad hand over. I find this nearly impossible.
I prefer to spin the skewer between the knuckles.

Some people have 1/4" skewers and find them frustrating.
I use 1/8" skewers without problems.

- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

hirailer

• Engineer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 11:36:09 PM »
I have used 1/8th skewers for years to uncouple Kadees. Using them on the controller sounds like a good idea, going to give it a try.

Mel
Having more fun with RailPro