Author Topic: How does the Brake sound work?  (Read 2268 times)

ron045

• Engineer
How does the Brake sound work?
« on: August 02, 2021, 02:02:08 PM »
Can someone tell me how the brake sound is supposed to work?   This is the standard sound that comes with the RE SD40-2 prime mover sound set.

I push the button and stop the train.  No brake sounds.
I hold the button and stop the train.  No brake sounds.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!
Ron

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Re: How does the Brake sound work?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 05:15:35 PM »
Do you have the EMD 645 Turbo ULT sound file installed or the non-ULT file? You get a brake squeal just before stopping when you have an ULT sound file installed
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 05:24:26 PM »
That's interesting. I don't get a squeal unless I push the button. I have several ULT files installed in different locomotives.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 05:27:04 PM »
Oops, forgot to mention that - you have to use the Brake button to stop the train. The Brake function will work regardless of sound file, you only get the squeal with an ULT file.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 05:31:02 PM »
OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Al

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 12:07:49 AM »
Also be sure you have the compressor sounds turned on.  The brake squeal sound file is part of that set of sounds (compressor, air blasts, etc).  Throttle needs to be at 0 for the brake button to have any effect as well.

-Kevin

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 07:21:32 AM »
Thanks, Kevin.
Al

ron045

• Engineer
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 10:05:01 AM »
Thanks for the info... I'm sorry to be a pain but I just don't seem to understand how to get it to work.

I have Sound Set EMD 645 Turbo ULT sound file installed.
I have Auto Compressor Sounds enabled.

See the settings for the Brake function in the attached picture.  It is set for a momentary button.  I briefly changed it to an Maintained button but that did not work either.

I am confused by the comment, "Throttle needs to be at 0 for the brake button to have any effect as well."  I saw that in the manual too.  If the throttle is at zero then how does a braking sound occur?  Shouldn't the model be moving and coming to a stop?

Thanks!
Ron
IMG_20210803_105522291.jpg
IMG_20210803_105239509.jpg
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 10:06:43 AM by ron045 »

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 12:22:49 PM »
Your settings are all correct.

The brake is set up similar to the real thing, which means the brakes won't be applied at the same time that the throttle is on.  Turning the throttle down to 0 should mean that the locomotive is still coasting.  If it is not, then you'll want to change your deceleration value to be higher, and probably increase the load setting.  This will allow you to turn the throttle all the way down and the locomotive will still roll.  It will eventually come to a stop on it's own.

With the throttle at 0, press and hold the brake button until the locomotive comes to a full stop.  The sound will play when the speed is just about 0.  If you are not pressing the brake button at that moment then the sound will not play...just like if you were to let off the brakes on the real thing and let it coast to a stop, you would hear no sounds from the brake shoes.  Brake shoes only squeal when they are applied right when motion just about stops.

Watch this video from 6:43-10:30 and it will help you visualize it better:

-Kevin

ron045

• Engineer
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 02:56:03 PM »
That video helped.  Thank you. Sad thing is, I watched this video months ago which helped me decide to buy RailPro.  I forgot the part about brakes.

But to be honest, the sound was so low.  That was a lot of work to get just a second of quick squeal that I had to put my ear next to the engine to hear.

I was hoping for something more like this.  These are my Son's Lionel FA's.  Is there a way to make a custom sound and tie it to the throttle?  When the train stops the sound stops?

Ron

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 04:48:03 PM »
Ron - understood.  The Railpro sounds were recorded from prototypes....most of the cars/locomotives nowadays don't make much noise when stopping (unless the car is empty).  There are several different recordings of brake sounds, but they are all short (because that's what the prototype did when they recorded).  You can make a custom sound, but you'll have to play it on your own.  Better yet I would submit a recording to Ring and have him update the sound files with a longer recording.

Eventually I would like to have Ring create "slots" for custom sounds to be loaded for compressor/air/brakes, etc.  That way we can add our own sounds and they can play automatically with the prime mover files.  I've pitched that to him, but apparently it would take a huge rewrite of how things work.

-Kevin

ron045

• Engineer
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 06:21:53 PM »
Thanks Kevin.  I am still excited.  This product is cool and I'm having fun with it.
Ron