Author Topic: iphone4s speakers [recovered topic]  (Read 10603 times)

Archive

• Conductor
iphone4s speakers [recovered topic]
« on: December 20, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »
originally posted on: October 24, 2015, 07:27:47 PM by hirailer
Need some opinions about this speaker, are they worth considering?

Mel

Archive

• Conductor
Re: iphone4s speakers [recovered topic]
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »
Original Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 08:09:56 PM by nodcc4me
I have iPhone speakers installed in two locos. Their advantage is iin their size and price. IMO the sound quality and volume is inferior to standard speakers. I have removed the arms to place them in tight spots, and sealed the opening, but if there was more room I would install Soundtraxx speakers.

Al

Archive

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 03:28:47 PM »
Original Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 11:27:02 PM  by KPack
I haven't tried the 4s speaker, but did order some 5s speakers.  I was rather underwhelmed.  To me they sounded about the same as a Railmaster Hobbies DS-1436....which is one of the weakest speakers I have ever used.  The 5s speaker was very "tinny" and lacked any sort of bass.  The sound was loud, but substandard.

I've been using the so-called "sugar cube" speakers on my last few models: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/2403%20260%2000071/423-1200-ND/4376274.  Cheap and they sound good when multiple are used.  I build my own inclosures from styrene (easy) and use either 2 or 4 speakers per model.  To my ears I hear more depth of sound in these speakers than with anything else of similar size.  I'm sure the best sound would come from the 28mmx28mm hi bass enclosed speakers, but there's no way I can fit those in any of my projects.

-Kevin

Archive

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 03:29:46 PM »
Original Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 06:40:04 AM by William Brillinger
The iPhone 4 s loudspeaker is one of the best speakers Apple has made. The earpiece speakers and the iPhone 5 speakers are far inferior.

If your iPhone speaker does not look like this one, you've got the wrong speaker.

2015-08-05 iphone 4s speaker.JPG

This photo shows the only parts that can be trimmed form this little monster. There are no arms to deal with.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 03:40:06 PM by Archive »

Archive

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 03:30:24 PM »
Original Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 07:25:30 AM by LW93Rcode
I've used the 4S speaker like pictured.  I thought it sounded much better than the 1436 in my case.  The slim size is very nice if you're installing them in narrow EMD locos.  At about a dollar a piece I think it has good value.  The high bass speaker definitely has more depth but you have to get real creative to stuff one into a Geep or the like.  I haven't gotten the chance to get any sugar cube speakers yet, on my wish list!  If price is a factor tho I'd have to put the 4S high on the list for best quality with a low price.   I will say this, I did wire two 4S speakers in series once and it sounded virtually the same as one installed.

-Laurence

Archive

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 03:31:12 PM »
Original Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 09:56:48 PM by nodcc4me
I ordered and received some iPhone 4s speakers and replaced a small, round speaker I had previously installed in an Athearn SD45, which had very little room for a speaker. I was able to glue it to the top underside of the shell, and it sounds great. Looking at the size of the speaker cone in Bill's picture, I would say it is smaller than the speaker I replaced. There must be something about the way the 4s speaker is baffled that makes it sound so much better. It also sounds much better than the 5s.

Al

Archive

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 03:31:58 PM »
Original Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 10:05:55 PM by William Brillinger

I would say it is smaller than the speaker I replaced. There must be something about the way the 4s speaker is baffled that makes it sound so much better. It also sounds much better than the 5s.

Yup! It's Apple Engineering Magic.

Archive

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 03:32:50 PM »
Original Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 03:44:45 PM by Prostreetamx
Bought 10 of these recently and installed 1 so far. Can't really tell the difference between the small rectangle enclosure speakers I used on other engines but they do sound pretty good. Need to upload the correct sound files to check if they are as good as I expect. Really easy to fit them in the small cavities.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 03:44:43 PM »
ADMIN NOTE: unfortunately this thread was accidentally removed today by the OP. No worries, these things happen!

I have recreated it as best as I can from what I could find in the google cache.
If you had an attachment in this thread, feel free to send it to mt to re-add or simply repost it.

I have also configured a recycling feature that will allow recovery of posts that are accidentally removed in the future.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 03:46:20 PM by William Brillinger »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

hirailer

• Engineer
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 04:28:55 PM »
My iphone speakers arrived yesterday after waiting a month. At $.99 each with free shipping, I guess I can't complain.

I installed one in each of my Atlas/Roco GP40.s. These speakers are much, much better than the Railmaster DS1436 which I had been using previously. There is  a lot more low end "rumble" and the horn sounds a lot more realistic. Very happy with the results.

Cheers
Mel
Having more fun with RailPro

hirailer

• Engineer
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 04:35:23 PM »
Here is the installation one of the GP-40's, The wires are bunched up on top of the module temporarily until I get the lights hooked up. The speaker is mounted with double sided tape in a brass saddle I had made for the DS1436's which fits nicely.

IMG_1382 (1024x576).jpgIMG_1379 (1024x576).jpg

Cheers
Mel

hirailer

• Engineer
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 04:46:59 PM »
Tim,
I'm using a commercial grade of double sided tape which is used in the auto body repair business. The white covered double sided tape found in retail stores should be just as good for this application. I did not notice any resonance or vibration after replacing the  shell.

Cheers,
Mel

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 05:27:34 AM »
Thanks Mel,

I'll get some foam tape and see if it helps. I'll also try looking at the levels of the audio file as I said.

For everyone else that didn't get to read my post before it got accidentally deleted with the thread, I installed some iPhone speakers into a couple of installs. Being in a hurry to get this done so I could trial/show off RailPro the next day I simply left them on the weight. I possibly taped them down with Kapton (I'll have to open them up to see). Now, when I use the horn there is a lot of resonance which causes a very audible vibration to the body shell. Never having had anything with sound in it before I was wondering if anyone else has had such resonance (RailPro or not) and what different things they have down to circumvent it.

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 06:34:33 AM »
I have had vibrations from loose speaker installs in my initial testing too.

Using silicone, rubber tape, foam tape, or even a rolled up bit of electrical tape, will act as a buffer and stop the vibration.

Just make sure the speaker is not touching the shell.

I was also thinking/wondering if gluing the iPhone 4s speaker to the shell would improve the speakers performance by making the shell part of the speaker.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
I have had mixed results attaching speakers to the top of the shell. I think that if the shell has a fairly tight fit to the chassis, it will act as a baffle and improve the sound, but if the fit is loose at all it will just vibrate and detract from the sound. I use a thin coating of silicone to attach it.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.